Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a replacement part for my '92 5.2 L Dakota. Searched what seems to be everywhere with no luck. Anyone have an idea about a universal or matching part from say a Durango or something else that might match? I am willing to have someone rebuild if that is an option as well.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
294 Posts
Ive tried to take similar shafts from other trucks to a driveshaft shop, no can do "insurance company won't let us" rebuild those.
The only place that I have been able to find anything remotely close is Borgenson.
I have bought a few from them for bigger Dodges.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
For my 1988 with tilt steering, I build one up from the parts available for hot rod custom shafts; my write up is at another forum that gets black listed here.

You can google for "Intermediate shaft RalphP" and see what pops out.

I discovered that the non-tilt isn't quite as easy to swap; the upper U joint yoke is made as part of the steering column shaft, not as a clamped-on fitting. YMMV, natch.

For the nay-sayers; do remember that the collapsible portion is in the UPPER column, not the LOWER column, on most of these trucks; there's no slip joint per se.

RwP

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks sherman34, but I am pretty sure it needs to be from a series 1 87-93 Dakota. Plus mine has rack and pinion, m not a box.

·
Registered
294 Posts
yeah all 2wd Dakotas had a rack n pinion, 4wd til about 99 had a conventional gearbox.
I know from when I replaced the rack in my 93 that the parts listing split up the listings for the rack 92 and 93 were "by themselves" that don't mean the steering shaft is the same way. haven't had to mess with many racks and steering shafts on these trucks over the years just on that 1 truck plus my 01 Durango, which I know to be different...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So 2 years later and the search continues, but now I am starting to encounter other issues with tie rods and other steering related repairs. I am no mechanic and the shop that works on my truck are friends, so i trust them. they are looking at getting a used part before beginning any other work. The specifics are rack and pinion, power steering with tilt, 2 WD. Seems to be very specific to this truck and doesn't allow for any swapping of parts based on this. If it were 4WD it might be a different story. They aren't comfortable getting a new part and then having to alter it before installing to make it work. I don't blame them. So anybody have a used part (4470096) that doesn't have any play? Long shot, I know.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Did you try Borgenson? The unit they supply is way beefier than OEM. They have also been very helpful for me when I've had an oddball issue in the past. Not as cheep as used I know, but if you're fighting a problem for 2 years it might be time to pony up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts