Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm at my wits end with this truck. I have a '99 5.2 and it's giving me a very hard time. It acts like it's going to die going down the road. At first it was over 65 before it started doing that then over 55, now at any given speed. I've replaced the coil, and checked all plugs for proper gap and still no improvement. I used a ELM327 OBDII Scanner and no codes. So I'm at a total loss. At first I thought maybe fuel pump replaced that and still no improvement. Then cut off the Catalytic converter and it's clear and good so welded it back on. Checked all fuel injectors and they all sound the same. So I know it can't be a fuel delivery problem even though it acts as one. What are my other options that isn't going to cost me an arm and leg by going through the expensive process of elimination with spending tons of money on all the sensors.

·
Registered
294 Posts
crank sensor flaking out when hot? same thought on cam sensor (distributor pickup plate) electrical issues have a funny way of showing up when engine is warm and/or it is damp outside (rainy foggy etc)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
crank sensor flaking out when hot? same thought on cam sensor (distributor pickup plate) electrical issues have a funny way of showing up when engine is warm and/or it is damp outside (rainy foggy etc)
Thanks for that tip I'll take a look at the distributor pickup to see if it is fouling and I'll have to locate crank sensor and check it as well. I really appreciate your input!

·
Registered
294 Posts
you will not see any "fouling" externally, there is a small coil within the sensor that shorts out internally. If it is original (meaning 18 years old!) it might be brittle and be cracked in 2.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you will not see any "fouling" externally, there is a small coil within the sensor that shorts out internally. If it is original (meaning 18 years old!) it might be brittle and be cracked in 2.
I've decided to replace the crankshaft position sensor and it's on it's way. I have replaced the pickup coil once already about 4 or 5 months ago as well as the cap and rotor but then again it could possibly fouled as well since I know my coil had cracks on it. Once I get the crankshaft position sensor in and replace it I'll see if that works and if it don't I'll go ahead and replace the pickup coil (just in case). I know that my PCU isn't getting hot since someone said theirs was and it needed replaced and that caused the problems. I see that 5.2's are notorious for the same descriptive problem as I'm having now. Like you said though the possibility is greater that it could be the original CPS. Thanks for responding!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well replaced crankshaft sensor and it ran decent enough for me to take it 18 miles away but on the way back when I was running around 65 and increased to 70, it started doing the same thing again. I forgot to mention but it sounds like a whirring noise coming from the firewall or the dash as well when it does that. Don't know if that sound has anything to do with it but I've often heard that sound before at same speeds and when I increase speed the noise increases but it didn't do that almost dying thing like it does now. Any other tips?

·
Registered
294 Posts
did you DRIVE it while the converter was off? It could still be plugged up inside. how did you determine it was OK? just a visual looking thru each end doesn't always work, even though you can see light thru the honeycomb doesn't mean it's "OK".....

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
did you DRIVE it while the converter was off? It could still be plugged up inside. how did you determine it was OK? just a visual looking thru each end doesn't always work, even though you can see light thru the honeycomb doesn't mean it's "OK".....
Nope I didn't drive it with converter off because I would've gotten pulled over the second I left my parking lot. Even though in most places Police are lenient on things such as that I live around elderly and as soon as I started it with it off the police would show up at my drive. Visual inspection was how I determined it was still good. About how many miles roughly do them vehicles need timing chain replaced? I've read and heard among the other things I've replaced they have a tendency to need intake gaskets replaced and intake cleaned as well. Before I go through the trouble of taking it to a shop I thinking maybe one other thing and will tackle that this week. Replacing all fuel injectors. As I've said when it starts acting up my tach jumps up then down then up and back to normal again without changes in engine sound if that makes sense.

·
Registered
294 Posts
well you could have temporarily clamped a piece of pipe in in place of the converter so that the muffler could do its job....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts