Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2004 3.6 is still ticking. Had the oil changed with an cleaner added. Used 3 bottles of injector cleaner in 3 fill ups. I noticed a slight improvement, but when the motor first starts no tick........about 5 seconds in the ticking starts....any thoughts out there.

·
Registered
59 Posts
My 3.9 was ticking when I bought it. Sounded very mechanical--metal to metal tapping. I was sure it was a noisy lifter. Turned out to be a leaking exhaust gasket. Use a section of water hose to pinpoint the ticking.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You need to determine where the ticking is coming from. Is it coming from inside the motor or one of the outer components (i.e. fan or ac)? If it is coming from inside one or both of the valve covers it's a good possibility that you will need to replace your lifters and rods. It's not really a hard job to do as long as that is all that needs to be done. Just make sure you get all the rods and lifters and gaskets before you start. Also, if you are going to replace them yourself, save yourself some time and get the torque specs on the bolts before you start and use a torque wrench to torque them down when you put everything back together to make sure you don't over torque them and snap the bolts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts