Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yesterday I was on my way to my dad's house to borrow his lawn mower, while mine was being worked on. On the way there, I came up on a bad wreck and had to detour. Not being familiar with the roads I was driving, I hit a pretty big pot hole, jarred the crap out of me, and I'm surprised it didn't damage the wheels or pop a tire. After that, noticed a small hissing racket and some hesitation in the response of my accelerator. I would apply pressure to the pedal and it would take a second to pull. After a few minutes, it returned to normal response and the hissing stopped. As I approached my dad's driveway, I slowed down and passed the driveway so I could back in, but by the time I came to a stop and went to shift into reverse, the engine revved slightly and abruptly died. After a WTF moment, I turned the key and the engine would only spin over but not start. I went and got my dad, explained what had happened, and we went to look it over. I thought maybe the jar from the pot hole loosened a vacuum hose or something, but dad went for the coil and saw that the coil wire was slightly loose. He snapped it all the way down and then went to start it, and after a second or two of spinning over the truck started. I thought that had fixed the problem. This morning on my way to work, at highway speed, the truck suddenly revved up, like I went to passing gear. Seeing as how I had applied no additional pressure to the accelerator, I was perplexed, it seemed to pull when I pressed on the accelerator(while it was high revving) but only slightly. After about 10-15 seconds, it went back to normal operation. After work, I had to go pick up my sons from my wife so she could go to work. It was only a few miles at the most from where I work, but is usually busy with many traffic lights in between. I was waiting in line at the last stop light between her job and mine, waiting to turn, and then the truck revs up and dies, in traffic. I sit and turn the truck over a few times, thinking it was a futile effort, as it was not starting. On the last attempt, I long wound the ignition and it started up. I got to my wife's job, got the kids, raised the hood, rearranged the coil wire, since it wasn't placed very securely, closed the hood, started the truck and left. All the way home I was a mix of mad, confused, and anxious, expecting it to die on me again before getting home, but I had no further problems.

TL;DR Going to dad's. Bad wreck up the road. Took detour. Hit pot hole. Truck starts running different. Truck lightly revs and dies. Troubleshoot loose coil wire. Truck starts. Go home, no problems. Acts up on way to work, doesn't die. Revs up and dies after work while waiting in turn lane. Had to long crank to start. Reconfigured coil wire. No further problems going home.

Any ideas what could possibly have happened to cause a sudden stalling problem while coming to, or at rest, and being hard to start?

·
Registered
13 Posts
1st: can we get a description of your vehicle (motor, year, etc...) so maybe someone with like issues can bring you some enlightenment.
Good head looking at the vacuum lines. Did you check the stupid one under the wiper panel? With the hood open, on the passengers side, open up the cover behind the fire-wall under the windshield. There's a small plastic box. A hose runs to it.
I just bought a '99 Dakota 5.2 liter with a manual trans cheap because it only got about 6 MPG. All it turned out to be was this 1 hose he could not find.
I had poor fuel economy, surging power, poor throttle response, and almost no power until the motor hit about 2500 RPM.
Just somewhere to start.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The '99 I just bought has 223K on it. Fixed it up for about $100. I trust a stock 318 (5.2) to survive to 500K as long as it was taken reasonable care of.
I know people that have tried to blow them up, and trust me, it takes quite a bit. They have run it out of oil, and left it floored in neutral till it popped! After it cooled down, we still drove it to the scrap yard.
My '78 Power Wagon had 376K on it when I bought it. Drove it daily for 5 years. Sold it due to rust issues I could no longer keep up with. Drive-train was still strong.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well that wasn't the problem. It ran fine going to work and afterwards to get my kids. I had to wait in traffic and the only thing that happened is the engine temp went past half way up the gauge. I was almost home and it started revving up again without me touching the gas pedal. I put the truck in neutral to let it coast and see if it would still rev with the transmission disengaged. It continued to rev, not high rev, more like in the 2000-2500 range. I noticed hesitation in the gas pedal after I pressed it, so I knew it was going to die. I came to a stop sign, while in neutral, there was no traffic, so I dropped it in drive to see if I could power it up before it had a chance to stall out, but it didn't work, so I had to coast to the opposite side of the road. After calling my wife to come get the kids and call and talk to my dad about it, I probably sat there about 15 minutes, all the while trying to restart it. Finally, while on the phone with my dad, it restarted, and I drove it home with no further problems, just like nothing ever happened. I could, however, hear a slight rattle in the valves, like I was running a lower grade of gas, but I only put 93 octane in it. It kind of sounds like an EGR issue, it gets too hot and floods out the engine. What are yous guys thoughts?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Another update. It did it again going down the highway on my way to work. I was steady on the gas pedal, and then it dropped into passing gear. This time I pushed the gas pedal further and it accelereated, so it was in gear for sure. After 3 or 4 minutes, it went back to normal, and I had no further incidents getting to work. If I would have had to stop while it was revving, it would have choked out, and I would have had to wait for it to cool down about 15 minutes to get it to restart.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts