Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2002 4.7 had a timing chain tensioner go bad. Did not jump time. We replaced timing chain tensioner and reassembled the motor. Now truck cranks up and sounds fine but now it is pouring white smoke out of tailpipe and has water in oil. So my question is can a head gasket go bad just sitting there or could it be another problem. Ran perfect before tensioner went bad

·
Registered
10 Posts
Look guys were talking
Chrysler products anything can and will happen. I bought a gorgeous 95 dakota perfect body and frame. 3.9 4x4 3.9 it had what seemed like some minor engine problems that has turned into a nightmare. I bought this truck running for $300 with a plow it was running hot but good. Not overheating . No leaks no fluid loss i figured worse case blown head gasket and or cracked head or both this has turned into the typical chrysler blues. I replaced every sensor on it. Replaced the heads and gaskets new bolts, water pump. Radiator. Timing chain and gears and it has escalated into worse problems typical chrysler untraceable electrical problems. Every dealer and expert in town has looked it over and found nothing. You have to understand im a pretty good mechanic and my electrical skills are way above average. I keep getting this outrageous kicking and bucking as soon as it warms up a little and the only error code i have is error 24. It dies Unless i keep the rpm's up until the check engine light comes on and it then it is some what drive able. Im going to tear the wiring harness open and trace each wire back to the computer. Im actually beginning to think there is a compatibility issue. It was changed from a automatic 4x4 to a stick shift 4x4 and there may be a difference in the wiring harness. Its a chrysler i expect this kind of crap. I have actually bought chryslers that i never got to drive. So when you guy talk about your chrysler problems you have to understand that they were made with faulty electrical systems from the factory on top of the multitude of other problems you can have with any used vehicle. Im setting at about $1000 now because i done all the work myself now it has to go to the only electrical shop in my town and im expecting this to cost me dearly ill probably end up with $2000 in a vehicle that is probable worth 2 or $300 and if it was running right i would not try to plow an inch of snow with it for fear major power trane failures. Think what you want but chryslers are junk and should have been illegal to drive 30 years ago. Chryslers are made to be sold not driven !!!!!! Tinker Toys !!!!!!!

·
Registered
2003 Dakota Sport, club cab, 3.9L V6, 5 speed manual
994 Posts
We've heard it all before, Basshammer. Why don't you join a forum for a brand you admire, if there is such a brand. People come here for help, not to hear you whine. Why don't you just suck it up and get over it. You're embarrassing the name Marine.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Look guys were talking
Chrysler products anything can and will happen. I bought a gorgeous 95 dakota perfect body and frame. 3.9 4x4 3.9 it had what seemed like some minor engine problems that has turned into a nightmare. I bought this truck running for $300 with a plow it was running hot but good. Not overheating . No leaks no fluid loss i figured worse case blown head gasket and or cracked head or both this has turned into the typical chrysler blues. I replaced every sensor on it. Replaced the heads and gaskets new bolts, water pump. Radiator. Timing chain and gears and it has escalated into worse problems typical chrysler untraceable electrical problems. Every dealer and expert in town has looked it over and found nothing. You have to understand im a pretty good mechanic and my electrical skills are way above average. I keep getting this outrageous kicking and bucking as soon as it warms up a little and the only error code i have is error 24. It dies Unless i keep the rpm's up until the check engine light comes on and it then it is some what drive able. Im going to tear the wiring harness open and trace each wire back to the computer. Im actually beginning to think there is a compatibility issue. It was changed from a automatic 4x4 to a stick shift 4x4 and there may be a difference in the wiring harness. Its a chrysler i expect this kind of crap. I have actually bought chryslers that i never got to drive. So when you guy talk about your chrysler problems you have to understand that they were made with faulty electrical systems from the factory on top of the multitude of other problems you can have with any used vehicle. Im setting at about $1000 now because i done all the work myself now it has to go to the only electrical shop in my town and im expecting this to cost me dearly ill probably end up with $2000 in a vehicle that is probable worth 2 or $300 and if it was running right i would not try to plow an inch of snow with it for fear major power trane failures. Think what you want but chryslers are junk and should have been illegal to drive 30 years ago. Chryslers are made to be sold not driven !!!!!! Tinker Toys !!!!!!!
Yet everyone of mine have well over 200,000 miles and all run like a top.

·
Registered
54 Posts
My 2002 4.7 had a timing chain tensioner go bad. Did not jump time. We replaced timing chain tensioner and reassembled the motor. Now truck cranks up and sounds fine but now it is pouring white smoke out of tailpipe and has water in oil. So my question is can a head gasket go bad just sitting there or could it be another problem. Ran perfect before tensioner went bad
My sudden white smoke turned out to be the driver side head gasket at 199k miles. The #3 And #1 were spotlessly clean, lol.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts