Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This thin turns over well enough, but will not hit a lick! As soon as the temp is where it is bearable, I have the time and feel like it, I gotta get out there and see what happened. Anyone got any ideas? BTW, I HAVE done the "Trouble Code Thing" and only got a "12", because I had disconnected the battery cables recently, to clean the cable end and the battery posts. Any input, would be appreciated. Thanks, Bill;)

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ummm.....going out on a limb here.....you IGNORED it?? LOL

Or is it protesting because it is so hot??
LOL, Probably ALL of the above. ;)

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bumping this up. Need some ideas.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
is it firing?

I haven't really checked yet, been involved with my Dad's hospital trip and it's been so hot. I was hoping to get some tips from experiences, to have something to go on. Hopefully, I can get out there in the next day or 2 and check that for sure.

I AM wondering, if it was a crank sensor, wouldn't there be a code to indicate that? Just wondered.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yes it should throw a code. I had a '93 the tips on the rotors would just come loose and I would just lose fire.

I don't know what happened. It just suddenly would not start up. At THIS point though, I am dealing with my Dad being in the hospital and it looks as though we are going to have to make some changes, affecting his care. I DO need to get this one up and running again though. So, weather permitting, I may go out in a little bit and see what I can determine. You might know, the Dakota has a system that CAN show a code, with a problem, BUT MINE has a problem that DOESN'T show a code. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Bill try this, I know this goes against everything electrical. Take a rubber hammer and rap the PCM, not real hard just a good little jar. Don

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thats my luck lol. hoping your dad gets better.
I hear ya, and thanks, he IS progressing, but is gonna have issues with eating, because food and drink has to be "Pudding" consistency, to keep it from going into his lungs.

Bill try this, I know this goes against everything electrical. Take a rubber hammer and rap the PCM, not real hard just a good little jar. Don
I'll see how it goes. Thanks, Bill

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I went out and tapped on the ecm and that didn't work.

Then, I pulled the air cleaner off and shot some either in there and it didn't start. Sound like it's not firing, huh?

Stay tuned for the further developments of this.

And, feel free to offer up any input that you feel might be beneficial. ;)

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, today, I went out and made some serious effort to find out why my Dakota ('92 Club Cab LE, 3.9L) wouldn't start and I took the air cleaner off, so I could proceed to checking out the ignition system. I had already determined that I had fuel to the engine. Suddenly, I was looking at the injectors for the right bank and seeing that the wires were chewed off of the connectors of 2 of the injectors. and there is a small vacuum line missing as well. So, it DOES have a very good reason for not starting! I've had some trouble with rats before, but not this much. The truck had been in my back yard, when this happened. Needless to say, I am NOT a happy camper! So, I have quite a chore ahead of me. All I can say IS, I best not SEE another rat in MY yard! I am going to try to get this truck out to where I can check it over thoroughly, under the hood, to be certain that there isn't more damage under there, that I haven't seen yet.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, tomorrow, I am going out there and see if I can put my wiring harness back together. It's mainly the wires to the #4 & #6 injectors and 2 or 3 other wires in that area also. I bought one of those dual heat battery powered soldering irons, to do the job. They heat up a lot sooner than the soldering guns and irons of old. SO, if luck is with me, I might have my Dakota running again tomorrow sometime. Prayer wouldn't hurt. ;)

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Rats?!?:eek: I've heard stories of stuff like that before but holy cow. Well, at least you found the problem.:) Good luck with the repair, Bill.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Rats?!?:eek: I've heard stories of stuff like that before but holy cow. Well, at least you found the problem.:) Good luck with the repair, Bill.

Yep Rats. Those wires were chewed and some of the insulation in the front end and also there is a hole (about 3" across) in my hood pad. Got to get this thing running again. Thanks for the Good Luck Wishes Ev, time will tell, but I don't think it will be a problem. Just time consuming. I'm gonna be real surprised if there is another reason that it won't start. I'm getting ready to get on that problem now. Catch you all later on. ;)

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, I haven't gotten the injector wires repaired just yet, but I DO have the others done and this morning, just for the heck of it, I tried to start the engine and it started right up. So I KNOW I am in the ballpark. Now, I just have to get at enough wire on the connectors, to be able to solder them together. I also found that the rat had chewed a vacuum line in two, that goes to the cruise control. So THAT needs to be taken care of as well. ;)

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, I went to a salvage yard and got the 2 injector connectors, with wires, that I needed and the engine runs great again. Now, the DOWN side of this IS, it cost me $40 for those 2 pieces, because he had to cut a good wiring harness, to get them. I just gritted my teeth and paid the tab, knowing it would take care of my problem. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
149 Posts
I wonder how much the whole harness was worth? Most times when you are stuck in those situations you have no choice but to pay the man. I hate it. My daughter lost our gas cap off of our old 86 honda foutrax and I had to pay $50 for a used one from e-bay. OUCH.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Yeah, I wondered the same thing (about the harness), but was afraid to ask. :rolleyes: Yeah, I don't like being in need of something and being at the mercy of someone who HAS what I need. I agree, THAT is a CRAZY price for a "used" gas cap. But, we do what we gotta do, eh?

I'm hoping to find a fair right front fender for my '69 GTX, for a fairly decent price, but all I have seen are listed between $500-700 each. I can surely get mine repaired for alot less than that.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts