Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. Can I put a 5.2L V8 into a 1988 Dakota 4X4 with the stock 3.9L V6?
If so, will one from a 94 Dakota work?
And will I only need the PCM for a V8?
Any issues? Anyone done it?
I know someone has had to have done it because driving around with only 125HP under your foot with a loaded bed is very tedious!
Thanks

·
Registered
842 Posts
You really need to hear from someone besides me, but I THINK the 5.2 will have to have mainly the PCM. I'm not sure but I think you will need different mounts, even though the 3.9 is basically a 5.2 minus 2 cylinders. As I said though, I don't know alot about the particulars of this swap, but it shouldn't be that much of a problem. Myself, I am swapping in a 7.2L (440 Big Block) to replace the 2.5 four in my '92 Dakota. Good luck with YOUR project. Hopefully, someone will chime in here soon and help out. Please keep us updated with YOUR project with pictures too! ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well thats a start! I've done several swaps before on different vehicles but nothing like this where its my daily driver and I wanna do it with out a hitch over a weekend.

That 440 swap sound like a heck of a lot of fun!
Hope all goes well!
Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And just to help clear up any other ideas, I'm wanting to stick with stock EFI thats on the 5.2L im looking at. It includes the trans and transfer case as well if that helps me. So to sum it up:
88 with 3.9L V6 Stock everything
Want to swap in:
94 5.2L V8 with all stock components/EFI

Can it be done and how?

·
Registered
27 Posts
It is good that you will have the trans & transfer case as you will need the stronger trans to handle the 5.2L V8. The 88 3.9L is a throttle body EFI and the 94 5.2L V8 is a multi-port EFI so you will at least need the engine wiring harness and you will need the engine control module. Be sure to have schematics for both vehicles available, because I wouldn't be surprised to find a harness connector that mates up but doesn't work because the wire locations in the connector are different and you have to disassemble the connector and relocate wires to match your body harness. I've experienced that on another mopar just a little older. Both trans are fully hydraulic control, so there shouldn't be any problem there. I am assuming automatic. I hope you will have the donor vehicle available during the swap. It helps to have all the parts from the donor available in case you run into something that doesn't fit up just right. I would not be depending on getting it completed on a weekend if the donor is not available because there could be things that could go wrong where you need additional parts from the donor. Good luck with that. :cool:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts