Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. So I got a weird thing I can’t figure out. Started a few months back as I was creeping up to 200,000 miles. I would turn left and the noise would go away, I would straighten out and it would come back. If I turned right it would get more prominent. I put brand new CV Axles in but I’m still getting this low rumbling sound that will get louder if I turn right. It’s more of a feeling noise rather than a loud outside of truck noise. My first thought, CV axle. But I’m still getting the noise. Seems like it became prominent once I put in my new power steering pump and lines. At this point I’m stumped on figuring out what to do next.

Small back story, I got a sideways coming over a bridge in West Seattle which put me head on into the barrier. Only damage I got was a destroyed bumper, headlights, quarter sized hole in radiator and damaged lower radiator support. The frame ends where the bumper mounts got bent but nothing crazy. I’ll attach some pictures. No major mechical damage. Since then I’ve fixed the radiator and support bars. New fenders (which turned out to not be OEM spec), new alternator, new power steering pump and lines, new tensioner pulley and belt, new headlights, new cv Axles, and I’ve rebuild the drum brakes. Just hit 200,000 the other night and did a solid oil drain + gave it some synthetic high mileage for this first go around.

Prior to this, I had been stuck in 4x4 with a damaged front drive shaft. I’ve removed the front drive shaft and I’ve been in 2 wheel drive since but haven’t replaced the TCCM yet. I’m starting to wonder if it’s because the TCCM being stuck and everything still in 4x4 mode or if the front differential is having issues or if the short axle shaft going into the differential is the issue. Anybody got any advice?

Attachments

·
Registered
506 Posts
I'd guess the left front wheel hub/bearing. It gets noisier when you load the hub (right turns), and quieter when you unload it (left turns).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd guess the left front wheel hub/bearing. It gets noisier when you load the hub (right turns), and quieter when you unload it (left turns).
I honestly didn’t think it would be the hub/bearing but I’m also pretty sure they either have never been replaced or maybe replaced once. I have no record of prior repairs before I bought it just over a year ago. That will be the next thing I change out, thanks @oldmarine

1 - 3 of 3 Posts