Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I like the 4.7 It has a nice way of running . BUT mine at start up sounds
like it's on it's last legs . Once you get past that moment it is one of the nicest sounding motors I ever had . Nothing metallic at all - Perfect .
An Internet search reveals I am not alone on this .
I've had 318's Slant six's other venerable motors & Internet searches do not
have the vast complaints of the noisy start up such as the 4.7 .
I only paid $2000 for my truck so not looking to do much about it except work around it . I found Lucas oil treatment helped soften the sound a bit at start up
I'm using 4 quarts 5 w 30 synthetic 1 quart Lucas , & except for oil top off's an oil change EVERY 6 months is done based on about 10,000 miles per year .
Any one have any oil recommendations that will exceed in results what I am doing .
Some times I wonder if conventional 5w30 @ 3 changes per year simple stupid ( no Lucas ) would be best .
It does get to zero and below up north by me so thats why I use synthetics
The balance of cold oil flow and oil cushioning is what I want to achieve

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
To help reduce the startup sound, check what brand of oil filter you're using.

Most OHC motors require a good anti-drainback valve to keep there from being that horrible metal on metal banging itself to death sound until the oil pump can get oil up into the cam and follower galleys.

I'd stick with a Mopar, Motorcraft, Wix, or other high end filter; the Frams (save for the top of the line) seem to fail this.

RwP

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Having done my share of oil changes & knowing to prime the filter
Yes i'd say thats the classic sound I am getting
Purolator says it has anti drain back
But I am not using Purolator on my 4.7
I purchased truck and was given some low cost no name brand .
This week end I'll buy a mopar filter and see if that is the simple
fix . It would be worth a few dollars if the motor is sensitive .
I have a Dodge Slant six also and that truck I have had good luck with
Purolator for startup particular since filter is up side down on the Leaning Tower of power .

·
Registered
5 Posts
The start up tic is hard to get used to. Lash adjusters I guess is the common issue.Along with exhaust gaskets that I have been told sound like a bad engine problem.A lot of dodge guys will tell you its a normal tic and if it goes away after a few min dont worry about it. I have a exhaust manifold leak now. Tics for about 3-4 min before it goes away. Leaving it for now to fix when the weather is warmer. Im getting used to the startup tic. Usually warm it up for a couple min so its not so bad when I take off.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 2000 Quadcab 4.7 and my motor takes 6 quarts of oil. If your putting in 4 quarts + 1 quart Lucas, you're 1 quart shy. I use a 5-quart jug + 1 quart Lucas.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Without being able to hear the specific sound your talking about. I'm guessing it's sort of an high air flow sound. This is normal on Dak engines. It's just the MAP, air temp, and mass air flow sensors communicating. Trying to get the correct air/fuel mixture.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey I had a similar Issue and I ran some sea foam through my oil, gas and sprayed into the throttle body and that seemed to work really well. That was 4K ago and so far not returned.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts