Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my front brakes have been grinding for about a week now so i finally got new rotors and pads. here are what the old ones looked like. i have no idea when the first owner last changed the brakes, but these look like they could actually be 10 years old!!

·
Registered
842 Posts
Whoa! Sure glad that nothing BAD came out because of the condition on those pads. Makes you wonder about SOME folks, huh? :confused:

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah, any longer and i would have had to Fred Flintstone it!! LOL

·
Registered
31 Posts
So Jerry, i'm assuming you went with ceramic pads ? I know this late but i had ordered some drilled, not slotted rotors from a Canadian company and went with ceramic pads 4 years ago and am pleased with them... ready to change out the pads before they get bad and ruin my rotors.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
not just yet, went with standard rotors and pads. i used ceramic on my neon and loved them

i will update the brakes at a later time, drilled/slotted rotors, high performance pads, steel braided lines, maybe a disk swap in the rear

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
i will update the brakes at a later time, drilled/slotted rotors, high performance pads, steel braided lines, maybe a disk swap in the rear
I was thinking about doing that too.:) I'm replacing my rotors and pads tomorrow with standard OE replacement stuff. Mine aren't grinding yet so I'll be interested to see what they look like as compared to your old ones, Jerry.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was thinking about doing that too.:) I'm replacing my rotors and pads tomorrow with standard OE replacement stuff. Mine aren't grinding yet so I'll be interested to see what they look like as compared to your old ones, Jerry.
i dont think anything could look as bad as the ones i took off LOL :eek:

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I did mine this morning. Jerry, your pads are worse than mine, but check out the drivers side rotor that came off my truck.:eek:

This is what I have now.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
holy crap! are those cracks??

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i dont think i've ever seen cracked rotors before, glad you got those changed out when you did!

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
i dont think i've ever seen cracked rotors before, glad you got those changed out when you did!
Me too. Thankfully, it was on my list of things to check out. The shop that did my alignment told me I needed rotors and pads, but they didn't tell me how bad.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
And what about the second owner? Did he check them before he noticed there was a problem? :D

LOL which one of us are you talking to? i think that applies to both of us :D
im the second owner of my truck and im a sucker when it comes to buying a used car, heck i didnt even drive the truck when i bought it, started it up, looked under the hood, sat in it, thats all. then signed the papers and drove it home!!

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
LOL which one of us are you talking to? i think that applies to both of us :D
im the second owner of my truck and im a sucker when it comes to buying a used car, heck i didnt even drive the truck when i bought it, started it up, looked under the hood, sat in it, thats all. then signed the papers and drove it home!!
That's true. Although, I went over mine pretty well. I knew about the PS pump when I bought it and by driving it, I knew I'd be replacing tires and some front end pieces; I suspected the brakes might be old/worn and was going to check those today depite the shop telling me yesterday.:)

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
The fella who is repairing my A/C alerted me to an issue with my calipers' bushings being worn out. It appears he has found the mystery rattle athat I have been looking for all this time. He says he's seen this on several Dakotas he's worked on. New calipers to be installed tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The fella who is repairing my A/C alerted me to an issue with my calipers' bushings being worn out. It appears he has found the mystery rattle athat I have been looking for all this time. He says he's seen this on several Dakotas he's worked on. New calipers to be installed tomorrow.
what a coincidence, i was planning on doing the same thing to mine. are you having them done or have you bought some and will be doing it yourself?

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
what a coincidence, i was planning on doing the same thing to mine. are you having them done or have you bought some and will be doing it yourself?
Will the similarities never end?:D He is going to do it for me.

He's also installing oversized caliper pins. He says he's seen many Dakotas (including mine) where the pins seem to not tighten up well and eventually strip the threads. If the oversized pins fail, it means you have to replace the spindle assembly. I don't want to do that unless I absolutely have to do so. He repaired his co-woker's Dakota that had a caliper come off (taking the brake line with it) going down the road. He was lucky nothing really bad happened.

·
Registered
242 Posts

going out to the shop right now to check this out. been looking for the "mystery rattle" for two years. please let this be it, so excited thanks for passing this along!!!!​

1 - 20 of 32 Posts