Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
dakota 98 5.2
it will idle super low (400rpm or so) and stall. when letting off the throttle it often also stalls. durring accelleration it can some times hiccup.

cleaned the throttle body and sensor, cleaned electrical contacts, removed battery and after reinstall - turned ign on to move throttle sensor through its sweep to reprogram values.
none of this fixed the issue.

thoughts on next step>?

·
Registered
2003 RT (5.9)
444 Posts
I take it you are not getting a CEL?
Here's a guy who had sort of kind of similar issues & he fixed it by replacing his IAC valve.

·
Registered
2003 RT (5.9)
444 Posts
whats the iac/iav? intake air valve? the butterfly valve in the throttle body?
IAC valve is the idle air control valve.
Not saying that this is necessarily your issue, but it might warrant some research.
And yes, it is located on the TB (throttle body).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got it. I don't work on many vehicles with throttle bodies so kind of new to everything he wants to do.

·
Registered
2003 RT (5.9)
444 Posts
Got it. I don't work on many vehicles with throttle bodies so kind of new to everything he wants to do.
I hear you.
I didn't get my first EFI vehicle until '99. Up until then I was driving a '75 LTD with a 460 & a Holley 750.
Anyway, I reread that post & it seems that he did NOT actually REPLACE his IAC valve; it had iced up due to condensation (he's from Canada).
But I still think that could be your issue.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah that could be it, it was - 38 here yesterday so it's possible to my friends iced up two.

I don't know much about carburetors either, only what I've seen in books. They are definitely before my time. 99% of what I work on his either electrical or diesel

·
Registered
2003 RT (5.9)
444 Posts
Yeah that could be it, it was - 38 here yesterday so it's possible to my friends iced up two.

I don't know much about carburetors either, only what I've seen in books. They are definitely before my time. 99% of what I work on his either electrical or diesel
Truth be told, I didn't know a whole lot about carbs either--but computers scared me so I held off as long as I possibly could. My life has been a whole lot better ever since I switched over.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Computers just make things so much easier, you can plug in a tool and either read or send a hex value down a can bus line to add on aftermarket control of door locks or pull details for some aftermarket set of gauges. Or you can sit there and reflash any cm to change damn near every part of how the engine or transmission is going to function.

With older mechanical stuff you've just got so many individual pieces of Hardware or discrete analog wiring that just makes things a lot bulkier. Data bus networks are just better

That being said I do prefer to stick to older vehicles just because there are less things on them to go wrong. Personally I drive a 99 2500 Cummins

·
Registered
2003 RT (5.9)
444 Posts
I hear you on that as well; as I typed previously, EFI has made my life a lot easier. And as far as that IAC valve, if you go with Rock (or the like) it is an affordable part to throw at the issue & see if it cures it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah I'll probably grab it at the parts store and we'll see how it works. He wants to do so much shit to this truck, I try to have him do as much of the labor as possible so he can learn

·
Registered
2003 RT (5.9)
444 Posts
. . . and here is some one who fixed a fast idle by replacing his IAC valve. . . .

·
Registered
3 Posts
Try testing the throttle position sensor. Mine started going bad on a 5.9 I used to have. It would hiccup in the same spot every time. There should be some info/video on it and I’ll try to find it and post it. It’s an easy test if you have a volt meter and some mechanical ability to remove it.
Its on the opposite side of the throttle body from the linkage.
I’m betting on that being the issue rather than the IAC valve.
dakota 98 5.2
it will idle super low (400rpm or so) and stall. when letting off the throttle it often also stalls. durring accelleration it can some times hiccup.

cleaned the throttle body and sensor, cleaned electrical contacts, removed battery and after reinstall - turned ign on to move throttle sensor through its sweep to reprogram values.

thoughts on next step>?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm new to Dodges (or and Chrysler/Stellantis vehicle) except my Dad's Dodge Dart (slat 6) from the late 1960s. (I totaled it!) My '98 (3.9L V6) was acting much (if not exactly) the same way recently. Diagnostic code indicated a (potential) distributor-related problem. After new distributor parts installed, no change.

Finally, after reading and getting advice from others on this forum who've had similar problems, it was looking like the PCM was more than likely the problem. (My mechanic was NOT versed in PCM diagnostics. I won't go back to him.) Based on the experience of others here, I jumped in and ordered a new/replacement PCM. After a new PCM, no more problems. I can't say that is your solution, but you should have a knowledgeable mechanic (if you can't do it yourself) diagnose whether or not you have a PCM problem.

One of the things I learned about this generation of Dakota is Dodge apparently put the PCM in a place where it was exposed to quite a bit of engine heat. That caused PCMs to deteriorate and fail. (Sometimes, however, it's even as simple as a wire to the PCM being degraded or loose.) Hey, my Dakota has over 244K miles on it. Given the heat problem I can see where the PCM would fail!

·
Registered
3 Posts
dakota 98 5.2

thoughts on next step>?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts