Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. This is the first forum I've ever joined - glad there is a Dakota community! I decided to join after many internet searches, but not finding the information I was looking for. I'm hoping someone here can help.

I have a 1997 V6 / automatic long bed, about to turn 89K miles. Love the truck! The timing chain has been rattling since I bought the truck about 2 years ago, and I finally want to address it. I have been doing some research, and I have decided that I want to upgrade to a double roller timing chain, and I also want to install a chain tensioner as "added insurance" while I'm in there. I have read on some forums that if a double roller is used, that a tensioner is not needed - but I still want to install one (please no lectures about it's not needed and I'm a dumb a$$ for wanting to do it lol). I contacted Summit Racing, and the reply was that the tensioner would not work with a double roller. I also contacted Cloyes, but they have not responded as of yet.

So, has anyone found out definitively that a tensioner cannot be used with a double roller chain, or has someone successfully used a double roller along with a tensioner? And, if yes, can you tell me what brands were used - maybe even include some links for me? Thank you in advance. -Steve

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
When my 1988 3.9 (LA based) was rebuilt, I used a Melling 3160S double roller set.

I also told the rebuilder to install the Melling BT428 tensioner.

Did they? Don't know. But timing is rock steady at over 50,000 miles on the motor, so ...

(Both sides are right. It's overkill, sure. But then again, according to Schlock Mercenary, there's no such thing as overkill. There's just "Fire!" and "Reload!" :LOL: :LOL:
)

RwP

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When my 1988 3.9 (LA based) was rebuilt, I used a Melling 3160S double roller set.

I also told the rebuilder to install the Melling BT428 tensioner.

Did they? Don't know. But timing is rock steady at over 50,000 miles on the motor, so ...

(Both sides are right. It's overkill, sure. But then again, according to Schlock Mercenary, there's no such thing as overkill. There's just "Fire!" and "Reload!" :LOL: :LOL:
)

RwP
Hello Ralph, and thank you for replying! Also, thank you for understanding my "overkill" lol.

So, typical of my luck, I researched the Melling 3160S double roller set that you posted in your reply. Sadly (and maybe I'm mistaken), the 3160S appears to be a single roller. It's strange though - on the Summit Racing site, it shows (what I believe to be) an image of a double roller, but if you scroll down to the timing chain specs, it says "Timing Chain Style: Single roller". Here is a link if you want to see for yourself:

I did a little more googling after reading your reply, and kept coming up with the same result - that the 3160S is a single roller. Maybe when yours was replaced, it was in fact a double, but now that part number represents a single? Like I said, this is typical of my luck!

Thank you again for taking the time to post. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that somebody has used a double roller with a tensioner, and had successful results!

Take care (and thanks again),
-Steve

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
It may be.

The pic at RockAuto shows a double roller set; but eh.

Check the C3028 instead; that also specs as a double roller.

(The C3028S is a Super Duty version for more durability, if you believe the sales lit.)

RwP

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It may be.

The pic at RockAuto shows a double roller set; but eh.

Check the C3028 instead; that also specs as a double roller.

(The C3028S is a Super Duty version for more durability, if you believe the sales lit.)

RwP
Thanks to your suggestion to look on RockAuto (I had not thought of them), I also found the Melling 3160S that you suggested is described as a double roller in the specification section. It looks like I got bad info on my end - Sorry!

Either of those would be fine - I just need to find out now if either of these would work with a tensioner. The one I asked Summit Racing about was the "Cloyes Race Billet True Roller Timing Set 9-3603X9" (that's the one I really want - yes, overkill lol), but was told by Summit that the tensioner would not work with that chain / gear set.

Thank you again for your time. I appreciate it!
-Steve

·
Registered
303 Posts
Thanks for bringing this up. also being somewhat new to 3.9 Dodge V6 I'm deep into a rebuild. I have not studied the difference between LA and Magnum engines. A little back story, when I bought my Dakota two years and 22,000 miles
ago I replaced as much of the serpentine drive system as I could. My mistake was not catching the water pump while
there. I now have a core engine and when I took it apart ( Magnum ) I found it almost impossible for the timing chain to
give any issues. Like them or Lump them I bought my timing set from Hughes Engines. HUG 6442 and CLO 9-5387.
The timing kit is double roller with 7 advance and retard options. As we know there are different quality rollers and true
are the correct ones. Steve

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for bringing this up. also being somewhat new to 3.9 Dodge V6 I'm deep into a rebuild. I have not studied the difference between LA and Magnum engines. A little back story, when I bought my Dakota two years and 22,000 miles
ago I replaced as much of the serpentine drive system as I could. My mistake was not catching the water pump while
there. I now have a core engine and when I took it apart ( Magnum ) I found it almost impossible for the timing chain to
give any issues. Like them or Lump them I bought my timing set from Hughes Engines. HUG 6442 and CLO 9-5387.
The timing kit is double roller with 7 advance and retard options. As we know there are different quality rollers and true
are the correct ones. Steve
Thank you CooperTune for that info. Hughes Engines was another site I was not aware of - looks like a great site, and I especially like that it is Mopar only. The timing set you posted appears to be of very high quality, and very unique with so many advance and retard options. I am so glad I joined this forum!

Thanks again and take care,
-Steve

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Thank you CooperTune for that info. Hughes Engines was another site I was not aware of - looks like a great site, and I especially like that it is Mopar only. The timing set you posted appears to be of very high quality, and very unique with so many advance and retard options. I am so glad I joined this forum!

Thanks again and take care,
-Steve
It is; if I were building to CooperTune's level, I'd've gone for it.

But you asked if anyone had done such and such; I had, and listed the parts I used. :LOL: :p

Those aren't the only good parts; those are just what I used.

RwP

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It is; if I were building to CooperTune's level, I'd've gone for it.

But you asked if anyone had done such and such; I had, and listed the parts I used. :LOL: :p

Those aren't the only good parts; those are just what I used.

RwP
I totally get that Ralph. There are so many options available, and I really appreciate the responses and suggestions. Information is like a tool, and I am grateful for all the tools you guys are giving me!

·
Registered
303 Posts
If you look on page two of my build thread there is a picture of the timing kit and tensioner as found in my 3.9. It is part of the cam thrust plate. Steve

·
Registered
303 Posts
You may find that as I did joining 11 months ago it takes awhile to collect all the info about the 3.9 V6. It's close relationship to the 5.2 V8 is a help. I have had some luck calling and talking with a person at some suppliers. You will also find there are people on the phone reading off the same computer screen you are. In this 3.9 section you will find several threads I have started looking for answers. If I can't find an answer I figure it out for myself. It has been pointed out to me that my sharing my 3.9 build is only 20 years late. Once the new engine is in place I plan a more dollar friendly rebuild for the engine currently in my truck. Steve

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You may find that as I did joining 11 months ago it takes awhile to collect all the info about the 3.9 V6. It's close relationship to the 5.2 V8 is a help. I have had some luck calling and talking with a person at some suppliers. You will also find there are people on the phone reading off the same computer screen you are. In this 3.9 section you will find several threads I have started looking for answers. If I can't find an answer I figure it out for myself. It has been pointed out to me that my sharing my 3.9 build is only 20 years late. Once the new engine is in place I plan a more dollar friendly rebuild for the engine currently in my truck. Steve
Thank you again!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Check out Utawsome Performance in Utah. I got my cam & double roller timing chain from there. All they do is Mopar Magnum motors & have been modding them since they Dodge brought them out in 1992. Marty will know just what you need. He is a savvy guy & knows Magnum motors in & out. He can answer all your questions.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Check out Utawsome Performance in Utah. I got my cam & double roller timing chain from there. All they do is Mopar Magnum motors & have been modding them since they Dodge brought them out in 1992. Marty will know just what you need. He is a savvy guy & knows Magnum motors in & out. He can answer all your questions.
Thank you so much for that info IAMTK! It is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Earlier in this thread I mentioned buying a timing kit and a tensioner. As it turns out they can not be used together. Sometimes I wish I were smarter. Looking at the pictures the Mature Marine has been posting for us. ( I hope it's for us and not just me.) I realized the outer dia of the link belt cam gear and chain is smaller than the true roller gear and chain. Regardless I still needed a cam thrust plate and the stationary guide is just there to align chain as it contacts crank gear so it stayed. Hope I did not miss lead. Steve

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Earlier in this thread I mentioned buying a timing kit and a tensioner. As it turns out they can not be used together. Sometimes I wish I were smarter. Looking at the pictures the Mature Marine has been posting for us. ( I hope it's for us and not just me.) I realized the outer dia of the link belt cam gear and chain is smaller than the true roller gear and chain. Regardless I still needed a cam thrust plate and the stationary guide is just there to align chain as it contacts crank gear so it stayed. Hope I did not miss lead. Steve
Hello all. This is the first forum I've ever joined - glad there is a Dakota community! I decided to join after many internet searches, but not finding the information I was looking for. I'm hoping someone here can help.

I have a 1997 V6 / automatic long bed, about to turn 89K miles. Love the truck! The timing chain has been rattling since I bought the truck about 2 years ago, and I finally want to address it. I have been doing some research, and I have decided that I want to upgrade to a double roller timing chain, and I also want to install a chain tensioner as "added insurance" while I'm in there. I have read on some forums that if a double roller is used, that a tensioner is not needed - but I still want to install one (please no lectures about it's not needed and I'm a dumb a$$ for wanting to do it lol). I contacted Summit Racing, and the reply was that the tensioner would not work with a double roller. I also contacted Cloyes, but they have not responded as of yet.

So, has anyone found out definitively that a tensioner cannot be used with a double roller chain, or has someone successfully used a double roller along with a tensioner? And, if yes, can you tell me what brands were used - maybe even include some links for me? Thank you in advance. -Steve
I have some new information that I wanted to post. I emailed Hughes Engines (after hearing about them from CooperTune's post), and they very kindly replied with some information, and part numbers too!. To quote the email: "Use our double roller chain P/N 6440 and the tensioner P/N 9-5387". So, since they are the Mopar experts, I believe I have found my answer. Thanks to all of you for taking the time to post your information and suggestions. It is greatly appreciated! Take care all!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you for reaching out again CooperTune. After you told me about Hughes Engines, I emailed them - and they replied - and also gave me part numbers! So, it looks like a double roller will work with a tensioner on the V6 according to them. I had never heard of Hughes until you mentioned them in your post, so thanks to you, I was able to get the answer I was looking for! I appreciate you taking the time to post your info and suggestions. Thanks again! -Steve

1 - 18 of 18 Posts