Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Head gasket replacement on 2002 Dakota 4.7l, welp.. I removed the heads and the engine wasn’t at TDC, sooo I’m about to start installing the new gaskets and heads but want to make sure I set everything to TDC before I install the chain and front cover????? Thank you for any feedback

·
Registered
2003 Dakota Sport, club cab, 3.9L V6, 5 speed manual
847 Posts
You're tackling a job that requires close attention to detail. There are a couple of videos on YouTube that are very helpful -- I'll link those below. To ensure you don't have any possibility of piston/valve contact during assembly, I strongly recommend removing all the rockers and valve lifters from the heads before installing the heads on the engine. It requires a little extra time, but gives you the opportunity to inspect the rockers for any wear, damage, or loose rollers, and to replace the lifters if they are original equipment. (You can get them from RockAuto for as low as $5 each.) Install the heads and timing chains without the rockers/lifters installed in the heads. This way all the valves will be seated and no possibility of piston contact. Once the heads are installed, and the timing chains are properly installed and verified, you can install the lifters/rockers.

One other item to pay close attention to: Since you have a 2002 engine, the tone ring on the passenger side cam gear is different than that on later engines. If you bought a timing kit with cam gears included, make sure that the old and new gears are identical with respect to the slots (number and sequence) in the outer ring of the gear. If the teeth are badly worn on the old gear, and you want to replace it, look for a replacement part that specifies a JTEC system (as opposed to an NGC system).

Timing chain installation/alignment

Rocker arm/lifter replacement

1 - 2 of 2 Posts