Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a good one guys, 94 dodge dakota 4x4 3.9, I bought this because of the condition of the body and frame, the fact that it had a working snow plow on it was not in the equation because I would not use a chrysler product of any kind to plow anything, Plowing with a Chrysler is a instant loosing ticket, when I bought it it sounded a little sick and after going through the chrysler blues I finally got it running good and found out it was running hot and through due process I figured it had a blown head gasket cracked head gasket or both, So before I dealt with that issue I replaced everything with brand new parts, Water pump, Radiator, Thermostat, Every sensor on it all the vacuum lines, New plugs and wires, Cam and Crank sensors, Distributor cap and rotor cap, Coil, All the heater hoses and Radiator hoses including the bypass hose and got rid of all of those junk Chrysler spring hose clamps and of course it was still running hot, So now I'm ready all the parts are in to do the top end of the motor, New oil and Oil filter, New antifreeze 3 gallons, New timing chain and gears, Brand new heads, New gaskets and after 3 days of cleaning and putting this engine back together it's running great no engine noises of any kind I left it run in the drive way for an hour just checking everything and it's checking out flawless perfect and 'm ready for a test drive I have a 5 mile test run that I have been using regularly so I could keep track of when, where and at what speed and RPM's certain events were taking place after 2 miles the temperature gauge was at normal and I was on the 55 MPH part of the trek and the temperature gauge starts moving and in the next mile and a halve it's running just a little bit too warm for my taste so when I got to the last mile of my journey at 25 and 35 MPH it started cooling back down to almost normal and it didn't steam it's guts out when I turned it off, Since that first test drive I have run that same test track two more times with the same results, before I done all of this work this engine would steam every bit of coolant out until it was dry and I would let it cool back down fill it back up with sealer in in it, First Blue Devil, Then K&W , Then a buddy of mine gave me a bottle of industrial sealer that has never let him down and nothing worked using the same test track at the same speeds and following the instructions on the bottles it steamed its guts out every time, I have stayed away from Chrysler products since a bad run back in 1976 but this truck it in better overall condition that most 2010 vehicles i've seen, It ended up here with a blown engine and was left here in Ohio, the people that owned it dumped it off on the towing company, the title was from Mississippi It has 168,000 miles on it, I bought from an add on Craigs list from an Amish kid that changed it over from an automatic 4x4 to a stick shift 4x4, This is what the Ad said " Im selling a 94 Dodge sport v6 4x4 and everything works but it's Dodge so nothing is working 100% first $600 gets it " and when I seen it I was shit faced I could not believe the condition of this thing, No Rust the paint underneath of it is better that paint on the body The problem has to be a very small crack in a cylinder wall directly to a water jacket, there is no water in the oil,, No oil in the water it's not steaming it's guts out anymore and it runs great I have two options left either I buy a new bare block and put all of my engine parts in it and or I have a 90 Chevy Pickup that I bought for $50 that has 69,000 miles on it its a 4x4 stick shift and it runs perfect, the frame is gone, I bought it from a preacher and drove it for two years and I'm seriously and heavily considering putting all of that from the Chevy in the 94 Dodge and and 20 years from now we would still not be talking about THE CHRYSLER BLUES, There is a third option I could just set it on fire, God I hate Chryslers They are such Tinker Toys !!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2003 Dakota Sport, club cab, 3.9L V6, 5 speed manual
847 Posts
And you're posting this here because . . . ? I guess you made it plain that you hate Chryslers, so why did you invest hundreds of dollars without doing a little common sense troubleshooting? Why didn't you post your situation here before you did all this, and see if anyone had a suggestion regarding solving the issue?

If you suspect a cracked head, blown head gasket, or crack in the block, you can (for less than $20) get a kit to test your coolant for the presence of combustion gases. If you find them present, then you can decide if you want to continue to rehabilitate a damaged engine, or purchase a rebuilt engine (the cost of which wouldn't be much more than you have already spent).

As may be evident, most subscribers to this Forum like their Dakotas and exchange experiences and ideas to keep them in good condition. My advice? Sell your hated Chrysler and get some peace of mind. Find another body for your 30-year-old Chevy pickup, put in the 'runs perfect' engine, and live happily ever after.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And you're posting this here because . . . ? I guess you made it plain that you hate Chryslers, so why did you invest hundreds of dollars without doing a little common sense troubleshooting? Why didn't you post your situation here before you did all this, and see if anyone had a suggestion regarding solving the issue?

If you suspect a cracked head, blown head gasket, or crack in the block, you can (for less than $20) get a kit to test your coolant for the presence of combustion gases. If you find them present, then you can decide if you want to continue to rehabilitate a damaged engine, or purchase a rebuilt engine (the cost of which wouldn't be much more than you have already spent).

As may be evident, most subscribers to this Forum like their Dakotas and exchange experiences and ideas to keep them in good condition. My advice? Sell your hated Chrysler and get some peace of mind. Find another body for your 30-year-old Chevy pickup, put in the 'runs perfect' engine, and live happily ever after.
I bought a radiator pressure tester. I bought the test kit to test for exaust gas in the radiator.. And both tests were negitive. It held 20 lbs of pressure for 24 hours. The test for exaust came out negative. I didn't spend hundreds of dollars I bought all the sensors for on eBay for $67 I paid $45 for the head gasket set with head bolts. I got brand new bare heads for $99 each free shipping you clearly don't understand my implications here this kind of stuff could only happen to a Chrysler and I would never spend big money to repair a Chrysler and you can bet everything you own that if I can't fix a problem with a vehicle no one else can fix it either. I have bought Chrysler's that I never got to drive that no one could fix, well that only happened once and I was 17 years old I bought a 57 Chrysler Windsor no one could figure out why it woulnt get spark. I was never able to get it running and it went to the junk yard. By due process means I checked everything before tackling a major repair and to find out it was still running hot was no surprise and I just laughed at my folly knowing all my past follies with Chrysler's. I honestly think that building a Chevy change over kit for Chrysler's would be doing the world a favor. Lee had it right when he said we are not in the business of selling cars we are in the business of selling parts, Lee almost bankrupted Chrylser and Ford both. So don't try to convince yourselves that a Chrylser is worth putting big money and time into. I didn't pay much for this crap jeep and I would never pay big money for parts. To completely redo the whole top end cost me less than $300 with brand new bare heads a person has to be careful how he spends his money when dealing with any Chrysler products. I'm not out big bucks I'm out many many hours doing all this work and time studying this this thing to a final conclusion that I wasted all my efforts on another Chrysler that I can probably only drive in cold weather unless I buy a bare block and do a complete rebuild and to me that don't make any sense I'd have $1000 in a dodge pick up in mint condition that I couldn't give away and it would be broken down again in 20, 000 miles. They can be bought cheap anywhere because they don't hold their value. This is my second Dakota. In 98 I bought a 95 for a thousand dollars and it blew up two weeks after I bought it. It was running great 79,000 miles on it and I was going from Akron to Mansfield ohio and as I was driving it kept going slower and slower and finally it quit when I tested everything it had no compression. The only Chrysler I ever got any real use out of was a 62 dodge dart 225 slant six I paid $25 for it and had to put a clutch disk in it and I put 60,000 miles on it it had 145,000 miles on it and it was starting to smoke and I sold it for $150 it was in mint condition other than the smoke. I have never paid much for Chrysler's because of the fact that only 1 in a 10,000 last for any length of time and after all these years Chrysler has never overcame their electrical problems the have been know for since in the sixties. I would have given up soon after buying this thing if it hadn't had a perfect body. I'll never be out much even if I set it on fire 4 people I know will give me a grand for the snow plow !!!!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I want everyone to know how much trouble there in if the own or are buying a Chrysler product. Semper Fi, USMC Brother !!!!!! Tinker Toys doesn't begin to explain what king of junk Chrysler is selling people !!!!! Just one example look at how many people are posting that they are having overheating and running hot posts, That alone should tell someone something !!!!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I want everyone to know how much trouble there in if the own or are buying a Chrysler product. Semper Fi, USMC Brother !!!!!! Tinker Toys doesn't begin to explain what king of junk Chrysler is selling people !!!!! Just one example look at how many people are posting that they are having overheating and running hot posts, That alone should tell someone something !!!!!!

·
Registered
2003 Dakota Sport, club cab, 3.9L V6, 5 speed manual
847 Posts
Semper Fi!! Didn't realize you were a Jarhead; you look like a hippie in your photo (what I can make out)! 😉 I have to take issue with your characterization of Dakotas as junk though. I've owned one for over 11 years, have had very little trouble with it, and am very pleased with it. To each his own.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Chryslers are definitely not junk as you so apt put it. I've driven nothing but Chrysler products my entire life and still own ALL of them. Not a single problem. My entire family tree drives nothing but Chryslers. Never seen any electrical issues other than replacing a battery every 5 years or so. EVERY car brand has a few problem childs. And far as Chryslers plowing, your full of it. My 96 Dakota I've been plowing with since 96. It's a tank in the snow and ZERO problems. It JUST started to rust so I did a complete frame off resto so it didn't get worse. Father had a W250, plowed with that. ZERO issues. You buy someone else's problem that they clearly didn't take care of, then of course you can blame the manufacture of it. I'll go buy a piss poor poorly maintained Chevy and bitch that it breaks down and has issues so I can go on the Chevy forums and moan and groan how terrible Chevy trucks are.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I have owned way too many vehicles not to know for a fact that some have inherent problems that never go away. I would be doing you all a mis service if i didn't spell it out. In the 80's Lee Iacocca X CEo that almost bankrupted Ford made a very private executive memorandum video that made it very clear that Chrysler was not in business to sell cars and they were in business to sell parts. This was a training video that only executives were supposed to watch and it explained very clearly that he wanted all the Chrysler parts to be manufactured to the lowest standard of quality as possible which is why there is only an 1/8 of an inch of material between the valves and the valve seats are within a few thousandths of touching each other and some even overlap. Lee knew if the engine was ran hot or overheated the heads would crack. All the sensors are made in China to the lowest standard of quality so there will be electrical problems that cant be avoided. As no fault of our own every Chrysler automatic transmission will go out these heaps are not your dads Oldsmobile. If you own a Chrysler you better follow their guidelines for changing and flushing the fluids as they suggest and that is the only way to get past the Chrysler blues, In their instructions they say to never put their 4x4 under under a heavy load so plowing snow is out. The transfer cases ate chain driven, What a great idea that is !!!!! My brother bought a Durango he paid $4500 for it. He would tell you the same thing I'm telling you do not buy a Chrysler. WHEN I BOUGHT THIS JUNK DAKOTA HE LAUGHED AT ME. He went through two transmissions in two years. The engine developed a low oil pressure issue he pulled the oil pan and when i looked at the oil pump the filter screen it was a micro mesh screen and of course it was most of the way plugged. It made no sense to have a micro mesh filter screen on an oil pump only if an engine wasn't using an oil filter. I fixed that in a big hurry i pulled the engine killer screen out and epoxied a wire mesh screen on it and he had 46 lbs of oil pressure. CHRYSLERS are made to be sold not driven. You take care of your junk as good as you can but while your waiting for parts know that the parts your buying are just as much junk as the original parts. Never never never ever drive a Chrysler with oil sludge built up on the engine that contamination is mostly responsible with most of Chryslers electrical failures and guess what they never mention power washing your engine at least yearly. Go on and take offence at everything im saying but here in Ohio there are 10 Chryslers to every Chevrolet in every junk yard and that should speak volumes !!!!!

·
Registered
424 Posts
I see you are fairly new to this forum, and seem to have no problem expressing your discontent. Thanks for sharing but I can't help but wonder why you would ever buy a Dodge. Seems your personal and family history would suggest you not. Myself coming from a FORD family am new to the MOPAR world. I arrived here maybe a year ago looking for answers regarding my 3.9 V6. One of the first things mentioned when I spoke of boring the block was the cyl wall issues. I was told to have the block sonic tested. I'm surprised when rebuilding and if the block was bored or honed that the split cyl did not show it's self. I agree with the new cyl heads both mine were cracked. Pull the engine strip it and have a sleeve installed and go back together. I'm wondering if you are blaming MOPAR for your failure? There are so many things I like about my gen 2 I'm willing to work my way though the issues. I'm sorry it didn't work out for you. Steve

·
Registered
2003 RT with 5.9
322 Posts
I figured that you were just blowing off some steam with a rant, hence the tongue & cheek reply. But yes, if Dodge sales truly outpaced GM sales by 10:1, I would expect to see more Dodges than GMs in the bone yards.

But seriously, I remember back in '81, when I was in the Air Force & I didn't have much money, I traded a guy for this '68 Chevy Pickup & it was so bad & undependable that a while later I wound up buying this monstrous '75 Buick with a 455. What those two had in common was that they were both GM products & either one of them could have been used to define the term "pile-of-shit." In '14 I picked up this '94 Fire Bird that I regretted pretty much a few days after I bought it & I continued to regret until the day I drove it to a yard & took $200 for it. Good riddance.

But I don't condemn GM because of those mistakes. Besides my Dakota, I have two other pickups (my Dad's '97 Chevy & an '02 GMC that I bought brand new) & they have both treated me quite well. That typed, I read all the posts on the GM Full Size Forum, & going by what I read there, GM has certainly manufactured their share of problems & I am just thankful that apparently I own a couple of good ones.

Hey, if you don't like Dodge, that is your prerogative & I don't hold that against you. Back when I was in the military I also had another problem child -- a '70 Mach 1 -- & my buddy who used to frequently help me with it was a Chevy guy & he cursed Ford whenever we worked on it. He used to say that the only thing Ford ever did right was to put the distributor at the front of the engine. In his old age he NOW has actually became a Ford man & has nothing good to say about GM, although I think that is mainly due to the government bail out after the '08 election.

Often times you get what you pay for, & didn't you type in your OP that you gave $600 for your Dak & the Amish dude who sold it to you kind of warned you? You also said that you were, & I quote, "shit faced" at the time, & if you mean to say that you had been drinking, speaking from experience, that is usually not a good time to make a decision to buy stuff.

But good luck & I wish you well. If you ultimately decide to go the option 3 route, I do hope you make a video of the bonfire & post a link for us.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I guess I need to run up to Ohio looking for good used parts. It's my understanding up there they rust out before they wear out. I visited a pick and pull local ( south east Va. ) I was told there is one on row 47 I found it on row 117 of 117. Needless to say there was nothing left I could use. I have never seen so many Ford Explorer row after row. If the yrads are full of Dakotas you should have no problem finding a engine. Good luck Steve

1 - 16 of 16 Posts