Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use my 3.9L V6 Dakota on a small farm for trucking around animal feed, a few bales of hay, a couple rolls of fence wire or maybe 4 or 5 sheep-nothing particularly heavy and it is (a just-right truck) for this type of usage. I am buying new front tires, so my question for experienced Dakota users. I am using 235 tires now but see 225 and 215 tires on quite a few Dakotas I walk past and I would like to know if I would get easier, smoothing steering putting a somewhat smaller width tire on the front of my truck. I feel like the steering box on my Dakota is very tight anyway-it does not return smoothly after being sharply turned-the front tires seem to grab when turned either left or right to the extreme.

Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions,
Stan

·
Registered
4 Posts
I use my 3.9L V6 Dakota on a small farm for trucking around animal feed, a few bales of hay, a couple rolls of fence wire or maybe 4 or 5 sheep-nothing particularly heavy and it is (a just-right truck) for this type of usage. I am buying new front tires, so my question for experienced Dakota users. I am using 235 tires now but see 225 and 215 tires on quite a few Dakotas I walk past and I would like to know if I would get easier, smoothing steering putting a somewhat smaller width tire on the front of my truck. I feel like the steering box on my Dakota is very tight anyway-it does not return smoothly after being sharply turned-the front tires seem to grab when turned either left or right to the extreme.

Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions,
Stan
Hey Stan,

First trick I learned, use ATF+4 as your power steering fluid!

I have 245 70 16's on mine and having similar problems. The tag on my driver door says 215 75 15! Woah, big difference with now steering mods.

I find tire width can be too big for turning. Even if they don't rub, too much width will pull on the steering system. I noticed during mild off roading my steering wheel tried yanking out of my hand.

Another scary thing is the road banking to either side, and the steering wants to follow down the banking. It also tugs at the wheel with imperfections in the road. Almost like I had play in the rack and pinion. But I lift the front tires up to check and no play...tells me the shaft is binding badly...

My buddy and I romped his Rodeo he just bought with a worm gear steering system. I could have drove with one hand, AND he has wayyyy over stock size tires on it! NOT FAIR!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts