Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
problem is I have replaced just about every piece of suspension in this truck. going down a washed out gravel road the other day felt like the front end was coming out of the thing. came home jacked it up checked for loose bolts broken parts etc. found nothing wrong every thing seems fine. I have the torsion bars jacked all the way up, was wondering if this would cause the front to rattle on a washboard roads from lack of suspension travel? Also was crawling around on a durango getting parts and noticed that the torsion bars on it were twice as thick as mine, same engine package and everything. Wondering if there are two different sizes of t-bars on the dakotas like the bigger ones on v-8, smaller on v-6. would the t-bars be interchangeable between the durango and dakota? just about every thing else is.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I don't know much about the 4x4's, but is it hitting the bump stop at all? Maybe a shock related issue? I know I'm not much help; just thinking out loud.:)

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the bump stops were beat out of it or rotted out. I replaced them and the new ones are not showing any signs of wear at all.I've had it jacked up all morning can't find anything just too hot, will get back on it this evening.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I hear that. My Charger and Dakota both need to be washed and detailed, but its too dang hot at the moment.:eek:

·
Registered
3 Posts
hey brother becareful about jacking your tortion bars up they can only go so much before they put to much angle on your cv shaft and you will wear out cv shafts alot quicker.

·
Registered
30 Posts
i agree with dirty watch your CV joints i went threw 2 on the driverside in about 6 months after i cranked mine up! i lowered them back down and i just make sure not to turn all the way untill i can get a suspension lift for it as my tires rub a lil bit if i do

·
Registered
18 Posts
problem is I have replaced just about every piece of suspension in this truck. going down a washed out gravel road the other day felt like the front end was coming out of the thing. came home jacked it up checked for loose bolts broken parts etc. found nothing wrong every thing seems fine. I have the torsion bars jacked all the way up, was wondering if this would cause the front to rattle on a washboard roads from lack of suspension travel? Also was crawling around on a durango getting parts and noticed that the torsion bars on it were twice as thick as mine, same engine package and everything. Wondering if there are two different sizes of t-bars on the dakotas like the bigger ones on v-8, smaller on v-6. would the t-bars be interchangeable between the durango and dakota? just about every thing else is.
Has anybody found out any info about the torsion bars?:confused:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Has anybody found out any info about the torsion bars?:confused:
In theory, the torsion bars should swap over with the torsion bar mounts and the lower control arms from said Durango. The big difference is the fact that the durango was MUCH heavier than even a fully loaded quad cab, thus the need for bigger t-bars. now, if somebody could do a coilover/coil spring swap, and document it on here, I'd love them forever.

·
Registered
18 Posts
In theory, the torsion bars should swap over with the torsion bar mounts and the lower control arms from said Durango. The big difference is the fact that the durango was MUCH heavier than even a fully loaded quad cab, thus the need for bigger t-bars. now, if somebody could do a coilover/coil spring swap, and document it on here, I'd love them forever.
Thanks for the info. That makes sense. I have the torsions cranked up on mine but had to stop just before the snubbers touched the frame so there is at least some suspension travel. So even with the beefier Durango stuff their would still be a suspension travel issue? Maybe I should just straight front axle mine. Haha.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
cranking the bars to add about 1" of lift should be ok but you will want to check your alignment but cranking them all the way can be not only bad on your cv shafts but also puts strain on the suspension in general and causes an overall stiffer ride. wouldn't recommend it for every day off-road use you'd be better off getting a suspension lift for better handling and performance.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts