Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2 wh. drive 05 Dakota. Can part #82209045 plug into vehicle and work . Vehicle did not come with tow package. Part # number is oem, it is the factory towing wiring harness

·
Registered
545 Posts
According to the FSM, in addition to the wiring harness, the integrated power module (IPM) under the hood must also contain two relays and two fuses (numbers 12 and 13) to power components in the towing package. If your Dakota has these and you can figure out where to add in the wiring harness, it might work. See the attached IPM diagram with the relays and fuses highlighted.

Attachments

·
Registered
423 Posts
Excellent answer and good insight by Oldmarine. I don't know if the wiring is inside, in all places, to add those relays and fuses. Here's what they did for my Dakota, when I needed a 7-pin, and didn't have the tow package: First of all, you can pick off 4 of the pins (ground, left signal, right signal, running lights) from a regular trailer 4-pin tap, like you would use for a U-Haul. Then they ran two heavy wires from the battery, through fuses. One went all the way back to the 7-pin. (12V Hot). The other heavy wire went into the cab, and served as the input to the brake controller. The output of the brake controller, another heavy wire, went to the 7-pin.(Brake). The last pin, i.e. back-up, was not used or wired. The factory relays are designed to turn off hot power when the engine is not on (so your trailer doesn't drain the vehicle battery), and to boost the power to the turn signals (and not overload the vehicle flasher). But my Dakota ran great without the relays. I always unplugged the trailer from the Dakota when parked.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Excellent answer and good insight by Oldmarine. I don't know if the wiring is inside, in all places, to add those relays and fuses. Here's what they did for my Dakota, when I needed a 7-pin, and didn't have the tow package: First of all, you can pick off 4 of the pins (ground, left signal, right signal, running lights) from a regular trailer 4-pin tap, like you would use for a U-Haul. Then they ran two heavy wires from the battery, through fuses. One went all the way back to the 7-pin. (12V Hot). The other heavy wire went into the cab, and served as the input to the brake controller. The output of the brake controller, another heavy wire, went to the 7-pin.(Brake). The last pin, i.e. back-up, was not used or wired. The factory relays are designed to turn off hot power when the engine is not on (so your trailer doesn't drain the vehicle battery), and to boost the power to the turn signals (and not overload the vehicle flasher). But my Dakota ran great without the relays. I always unplugged the trailer from the Dakota when parked.
That was my next way to go if harness wasn’t an option. Fuse box under hood is wired for relays. Waiting for harness to arrive via e-bay

·
Registered
545 Posts
Hopefully the harness came with some type of instruction on which wires are for what. The FSM wiring diagram for the Trailer Tow package shows no white/orange wire. If you can find what it is supposed to be for, I can check the wiring diagram for the corresponding existing wire on the truck.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I just checked my '96 manual. There is no orange/white. The only one with orange is org/blk. It is the output of one of the relays, and goes to the 7-pin, (pin #3) as output from when the running lights are on.The 12V+ Hot in my model does not go through a relay, just a big 30 amp fuse. But the running lights are relayed, because they don't want you put many clearance lights on the circuit. So they tap that, activate a relay, and you can use it's output all day long for clearance lights. Sorry I don't have more info on your model. Start with what you know, see what works, and what doesn't. Getting down to one or two circuits would be a lot easier than tracing each pin of the 7-pin.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts