Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anybody tow with this little motor? i'm probably looking to pull a 23 foot boat. a racecar on a trailer. maybe a small camper.
anybody?

·
Registered
250 Posts
I've got a 3.7 that I tow with but nothing as heavy as a car or camper. I usually tow a 6'x12' utility trailer with up to 3 quads on it and haul a load of gear in the truck bed. It does ok, but the 4.7 would be much better in the mountains.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
my neighbor has one with the 3.9 and he pulls a boat all the time with it, not sure how long the boat is, 17 maybe 18 feet

·
Registered
0 Posts
I'd check your GVWR number then start doing the math, by weighing the truck and item you are towing to see if you are, with fuel and a load in the truck that you'd normally carry, below that GVWR number.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I considered towing with Mrs.Newbies little ol 89 sport compared the gve's etc and then loaded up the bed to simulate what we would be towing, and went for a ride thru some mountains and flats close to home. She has the 3.9, automatic and is 4x4. It did well on the flats and slight hills. When I went up a more intense grade speed dropped because I didnt want to strain her and she did fine but spent a lot of the hill time in 2nd. gear. Conclusion was we found a decent 94 318 4X4 Auto to do our towing with. I have less invested in the 94 than all the repairs I think the little one would need with towing. I might add the little 89 is her first truck, it is her baby really really her pride and joy and my ears could not stand hurting the little truck. Once she gets her delux camo paint job with airbrushed leaves and clearcoat on it I will submit pics.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
saw a V6 Dakota today pulling a good sized camper, had to be at least 2000 pounds, it was longer than the truck and wasnt a pop-up. not sure if it was the 3.9 or the 3.7 but it was a 2nd gen (97-04) truck with no V8 badge and couldnt tell if it was a 4x4 either

·
Registered
44 Posts
Not to be a dick but just b/c it didnt have a v8 badges dont mean it wasnt a v8 my 4.7 Dakota did not come up w/ a v8 badge from the dealer and if Im not mistaken the 4.7s did no get the magum v8 badge

·
Registered
250 Posts
Not to be a dick but just b/c it didnt have a v8 badges dont mean it wasnt a v8 my 4.7 Dakota did not come up w/ a v8 badge from the dealer and if Im not mistaken the 4.7s did no get the magum v8 badge
You are correct. The 3.7 and 4.7 powered trucks didn't come with any badging that would indicate what's under the hood.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
You are correct. The 3.7 and 4.7 powered trucks didn't come with any badging that would indicate what's under the hood.
sorry about that, i forget the 4.7 was available starting in 2000, but also didnt realize those years didnt get V8 badging. it very well could have been a 4.7 or even the 3.7. i just went by what i saw, not even sure what year it was

1 - 9 of 9 Posts