Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had an issue last week and trying to figure what the cause was. I noticed the auto trans in my 2000 Dakota 3.9L wouldn’t shift into overdrive when the outside temperature was very cold, at least a few degrees below 0°; even when the truck was at running temp. When the outside temp rose a little, approximately to 0° or higher, the trans would shift properly. The trans fluid was at the correct level (not low), the thermostat was new and temp gauge read normal. Does anyone know what the extremely cold weather was affecting to not allow the trans to shift into overdrive?

Thanks,
Jarol

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
im having a similar problem but mine is from second to third but i dont think it is exactly the same

not sure, but the trans fluid might take longer to warm up than the engine? how long were you driving it to notice that it was at "running temperature" and still not going into OD?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
It happened 3 mornings in a row last week when it was well below 0. I drive 30 miles to work, all highway except thru town, and it wouldn't shift into overdrive the entire way.
Here's the really stange part. The 2nd time it happened; trans shifted into overdrive out on the highway when I got out of my little town. Drove 10 miles to the next town, drove thru the town at the 30mph speed limit, then when I got up to highway speed it wouldn't shift into overdrive.
Now that it's warmer outside, the truck drives normal.
I have no idea what exactly the cold weather is affecting.

im having a similar problem but mine is from second to third but i dont think it is exactly the same

not sure, but the trans fluid might take longer to warm up than the engine? how long were you driving it to notice that it was at "running temperature" and still not going into OD?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Trans fluid temp isn't regulated like coolant if you have the aux cooler and will take a lot longer to warm up. Interstate driving wil cause it to take even longer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I was driving 30 miles to work when the issue took place. That is definately long enough for anything to get to proper operating temps. Is it possible that the outside temp was so cold that the trans fluid wasn't able to warm up enough? I've owned my Dakota for 5 years now and this is the first time this issue has ever happened.

What senses the trans fluid temp? Also, is there anything that regulates the trans fluid temp?

Trans fluid temp isn't regulated like coolant if you have the aux cooler and will take a lot longer to warm up. Interstate driving wil cause it to take even longer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts