Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
dakota is a 2006 4x4 4dr v8. After connecting the battery i heard a shifting noise, I immediately jumped in and started it up and the noise stopped. I put it in D And nothing, it rolls backwards. I put it R again nothing. Now i look at the switch and that's when I realize that the noise I heard was the transfercase shifting.. the N light is red and I can turn the switch to 2 and 4 but nothing happens. Still stuck in N. This has never happened before. Checked all the fuses. There is power to the switch obviously. Electrical is not my thing but I believe my next move is to check the power to the transfercase shift motor. . Am I going in the right direction here to find the problem. Please someone help a girl out..

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hey! yeah, sometimes I really dislike electronic transfer cases... I would say check the power to the motor first. have someone flip the switch while underneath and see if the motor actually moves and works. I know when I did a diagnosis on an F250, I actually did a bunch of jumpering and stuff just to make sure the motor was shifting the T-Case. Turned out to be something in the stupid computer on that truck. Good luck!

·
Registered
86 Posts
On the electronic shift on the dash on my 2001 there is a be little round spot where you push with a ink pin or paper clip.
You can then shift the transfer case to neutral. Try shifting it to neutral with the engine at idle and the transmission in neutral.
If this doesn’t correct it.
Shift the transfer case into neutral with the engine off. Start the engine and then with the transmission in neutral try shifting the 4wd out of neutral.

Let us know if this doesn’t work and will try plan B.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts