Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
01 MotorSports
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Weird question...my tranny dipstick bottoms out before the handle cup fully seats on the top of the dipstick tube. I'm able to push the dipstick down about half an inch or so before it springs back up, not fully seating on the end of the tube. What exactly is the length of the tranny dipstick supposed to be for my 2001 4.7? It sure looks to be OEM, but the bottoming out puzzles me.

·
Registered
01 MotorSports
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Wow...thats very different. The length of the one I have is 36.75 inches from tip to the base of the handle. The part number on it is 52104137AB, and it does correspond to an 01 4.7 with 45RFE. I also looked up 52104137AC, and it too, corresponds to an 01 4.7 / 45RFE, but the AC has a round handle as opposed to the "T" on the AB, and the AC is totally straight without the curves and bends on the end. I don't seem to have any tranny problems...the stick bottoming out just has my curiosity peaked as to anyone else might have noticed the same thing.

·
Registered
2003 RT (5.9)
660 Posts
This made me curious about mine, so I went out & remeasured (yup, 34 ") and the PN on mine is 52107769AB. Mine is a 'T' handle & does have the curves you are referring to.

Has yours always been that way, not staying fully seated, or did that just start?

I suppose you could pull your pan, & then I think you oughta be able to see the bottom of the dip stick tube where it is inserted in the tranny & maybe you could see if the actual dipstick was hanging up on something which was pushing it back up. . . .

·
Registered
2003 RT (5.9)
660 Posts
. . . I just put mine back in, and I think it does the same thing you are talking about. I push it all the way in, let go of it, and then it springs back up just a little bit. I think that is normal.

·
Registered
01 MotorSports
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep...it's always been that way. Funny how I pick now to be concerned about it. Prolly cause I'm getting ready to tow a boat from Arizona to Texas.

·
Registered
01 MotorSports
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Reached out to a few ebay sellers asking about the length of dipsticks with those numbers...the consensus so far is pretty consistent with the one I have.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Weird question...my tranny dipstick bottoms out before the handle cup fully seats on the top of the dipstick tube. I'm able to push the dipstick down about half an inch or so before it springs back up, not fully seating on the end of the tube. What exactly is the length of the tranny dipstick supposed to be for my 2001 4.7? It sure looks to be OEM, but the bottoming out puzzles me.
Mine does the same thing on my 02 r/t but I found out my 1st gear band was broke now it's fixed it still does it.

·
Registered
2003 RT (5.9)
660 Posts
Hey, Kal-El, I replaced my tranny pan with one with a drain plug and darn it! I forgot about this thread until I had the new one bolted on. If I would have remembered I would have checked that spring-up action that you were talking about in your OP. Anyway, my pan is stepped in one corner, and I am pretty sure that step is right below where the dip stick tube inserts. Therefore I am pretty sure that the dip stick is springing up against that step in the pan and I am pretty sure that it is designed to do that, although I don't know why.(although I have a theory).

Anyway, I plan on doing another tranny filter change (in addition to the DIY flush I just did), so if I remember I'll se what the dip stick does with no pan bolted on.

·
Registered
2003 RT (5.9)
660 Posts
. . . Kal-El, if you are still following this, today I had my tranny pan off again and this time I remembered to check. Without the pan, the dip goes all the way down and does not spring back; it is obviously hitting that step in the pan & is designed that way.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts