Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 2003 4x4 4.7lt automatic. It is making a thumping in lower gears. Test driving one back in 2003 salesman said this was normal when it happened during test drive. Lately its been getting worse, sometimes when shifting. Am I looking at a rebuild or replacement? If replacing, good used or new? What brands should stay away from?

·
Registered
2003 RT (5.9)
793 Posts
I was reading some "transmission thump" topics on line not too long ago related to transmission or transfer case thumps & they were attributing it to the rear drive shaft &/ or the front drive shaft splines needing to be lubed. In other words, the splined portion of the drive shaft (it escapes me at the moment what that piece is referred to as) could be hanging up on the output shaft of the transfer case & then breaking loose & making a thump when it does. I seem to remember Lubriplate being recommended for the splines on the front shaft, & some disagreement on what to use on the rear shaft, as that area is wet. For my GMC, I did use Lubriplate on the front shaft splines & I used GM transfer case fluid on the rear shaft splines. I am not saying that this is what's causing your "thump" & if you do decide to try lubing the splines on your shafts, do the research before you decide on which lubricant to use.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.