Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At idle there is a distinct whir-fairy high pitched-which does not seem to be coming from the engine area. It seems to be comming from the mid bottom of my '98 3.9L Dakota sport and sounds like it may be a fan. The truck runs well, but this sound seems too loud to be normal?

Thanks Stan

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I assume you've checked all your fluids and no clues given there. I'm not an expert so hopefully one of our more mechanically inclined folks will post up shortly. Good luck.:)

·
Banned
2,418 Posts
Hello and welcome!

Good to have you with us, I hope you enjoy the board! I can't help you either but RamTech would be the one who could help trouble shoot!

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Welcome! Hope you find out what's causing that. I have a weird noise on mine too, but its at highway speeds.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Blackdak 92

I will take a look at this. yesterday driving at about 50 mph I noticed the same whir noise here as well. Does your diagnosis still sound logical?

Thanks, Stanwl

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yes its still possible. To be sure take the belt off. Do this preferably with the engine cold, so if its not the pulleys you maybe able to find the noise without the noise from the fan.
Hope this helps, Don

1 - 7 of 7 Posts