Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought this truck and the 2nd day I was driving it, I was comming to a stop and the truck stalled. it seems like its doing it pretty often, especially after getting off the highway or when its hot.
does anyone know of a common problem that causes this?

·
Administrator
2,934 Posts
Had a Caravan that was doing that. Turned out to be a bunch of crud built up in the idle solenoid in the throttle body. Pull up to a stop and it would kind of lurch and die. Would have to keep you foot on the throttle to keep it going. Had to remove it and clean it every so often.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that makes sense. I'll give it a check when I go to do my spark plugs. do you know if it's easy to get to or where on the trottle body it is?
thanks for the reply jkelly16

·
Registered
830 Posts
do you know if it's easy to get to or where on the trottle body it is?
thanks for the reply jkelly16
It will be located on the throttle body. On the V6/V8, it is a round cylindrical unit located
at the back of the throttle body, held on with two screws and a 4 pin plug.
It's function to allow more air into the throttle body during idle when the throttle plates are closed.

The IAC is (even though it is called a solenoid sometimes) is closer to a linear motor in operation
and the valve looks like a rod plunger that moves in an out (adjustable) into a air bleed passage.

Moving the plunger in and out (under PCM) control allows for the idle rpm to be compensated for loads
(such as A/C) or going back to idle rpm speeds from open throttle speeds,
anything that may cause the engine idle rpm to drop.

On the I4, it has to be located on the throttle body somewhere around
the TPS sensor that operated by the throttle butterfly shaft.

Here is a video on how to replace it, but generally you just need to remove
them, clean the pintle (the valve seat) and the mating surface on the throttle body, using carb cleaner.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHjl6BWp6j4

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had the same issue but mine never died. It would shake quite a bit. (mine is a 2.5l 4cyl.) After changing the map sensor, my issue completely went away. It could very well be that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts