Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I an stuck changing out the passenger side CV joint on my 99 Dodge Dakota 4X4. I found a fairly informative video on line and it went well right up until the removal. I do not have quite enough clearance to slide the shaft off of the flange, the shaft collides with other parts. What would be the best way to gain some clearance? Thanks

Don

·
Registered
486 Posts
Don, have you got it out yet? Sometimes it takes a lot of bending and prying to get the axle out, the main thing is don't give up.

·
Registered
13 Posts
tie a ratchet strap around the cv at the diff then to the frame and crank a few times. this little tension will help to pull it. as for clearance all I ever do is seperate the lower ball joint and tie rod. this will allow you to move the spindle anywhere you want it out of your way.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually I ended up removing the upper ball joint by taking out the 3 bolts that hold it in. Everyting came out after that. Needed to take my sabresaw to the bolts. Where I live (upstate NY) they use salt on the roads in the winter.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep got the new shaft in however I just discovered that my brake caliper pin holes are stripped out. Somebody already used the Dorman oversized bolts the holes are stripped for tem too. I am prtty familiar with threads as i am a quality control tech in a machine shop. I have a pair of calipers home and the original equipment bolts (from the other side) are measuring 8.9 for the major diameter so I make the threads to be 9X 1 approx (guessng at the pitch will need to check the pitch on comparator at work. 9mm is a weird size to me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts