Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my engine only has 75k miles on it, but is 10 years old. not sure when the plugs have been replaced last, but that's on my to do list

my question is, when should i replace the distributor cap, rotor, and plug wires? if at all?

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I'm doing plugs, cap, and rotor this weekend. I'm considering upgrading the coil and replacing wires maybe next month. The truck is running great, but mine has 180k on it and I have no idea when they were last changed. I'll probably check the compression on all cylinders when I swap the plugs. Once again, great minds think alike, Jerry.:)

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LOL that is so true! friend of mine has a compression tester, probably do the same

let me know how much of a pain it is to get back to the distributor, take pics!

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Tune Up/Compression Check

I was out in the garage today for about two hours with my son giving my R/T a well deserved tune up. Since I was replacing the plugs anyway, I decided to check the compression on all the cylinders. I am happy to report that all cylinders were almost identical in psi with a minimum reading of 125psi for each; the spec minimum is 100psi from what I've read.:) I also replaced the distributor cap, rotor, and PCV valve. I did take a couple of pics just for you, Jerry.:D

Changing out the distributor cap wasn't hard but accessing the screws to get it off is tricky with the cowl hanging over the distributor. It goes without saying that your CAI and TB lid have to come off to get to the distributor.

Old rotor before removal.

The old and new rotors compared.

New rotor going on. New cap was being wired at this point.

These are the old plugs, cap and rotor.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
you know all those parts dont look all that bad, im kinda thinking i might just change out the plugs and check compression on mine, you have over twice as many miles as i do and ive seen way worse plugs than that, im sure those arent the original though LOL

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
you know all those parts dont look all that bad, im kinda thinking i might just change out the plugs and check compression on mine, you have over twice as many miles as i do and ive seen way worse plugs than that, im sure those arent the original though LOL
I was pleasantly surprised at how good the old parts looked myself. I agree; they are definitely not the original plugs. I do think it was the original PCV valve I replaced though. It came out in pieces.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
262 Posts
I've seen way worse plugs than that myself. Other than the electrodes being fairly well worn lol, looks like you're in good clean shape!

- Cajun

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well, good news is i got my plugs changed out. bad news is, they probably didnt need replacing. they looked just as good as your Ev. there was a bit more brown spots on the bottom insulator though, but i enjoyed working on my truck and getting outside. so its all good.

one thing i noticed though was the wires to the distributor did not match what was in my haynes manual. i almost mixed up cylinders 2 and 4 (the first two on the passenger side from the front of the engine) but i think i got them back on ok, it started up and didnt sound like it was missing or anything

1 - 8 of 8 Posts