Dakota Forumz banner

Upper control arm replacement

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  immattj 
#1 ·
Hello,Can anyone give me an idea of what the labor charges should be to replace both upper control arms ,lower ball joints and outer tie rod ends on an 2004 dodge dakota 4x4 ....4.7l engine..Is it a difficult job? Any insight greatly appreciated...thank you

#2 ·
I can't answer your question completely, but as far as ball-joints, I have never done my own, always farmed the job out, & I remember it being around $500.00 a side (upper & lower) with the alignment. I can, however, tell you that outer tie rod ends should not be difficult, & especially at a shop where they would have a torch to heat them to cherry red to break them loose if needed (I have never needed to do that). My understanding is that the upper control arms is not a crazy bad job if you know suspensions (which I don't) & not much worse than changing the upper ball joint, & that it is the lower control arm that is the bitch. I don't know what labor would run for that job by itself. Shop around, shop fees vary.

#3 ·
Greetings,

Labor charges are probably too much. I have a 2005 with the 4.7l. I'm no journeyman vehicle mechanic but I know how to turn a wrench. I changed lower ball joints. upper control arms, & tie rod ends by myself. Took me about 8 hours. It was July in AZ and my garage was burning up so it slowed me down a little. Local auto parts store will loan you the kit for the lower ball joints. Upper control arms w/ball joints are one unit and easy peasy to remove and install. Tie rod ends pretty easy. As long as you have the tools, get out your Chilton's and have at it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.