Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put this post in the wrong place before so I'm putting it out here where it probably should be. Sorry for the mix up. :( Just wanted to say hey to everyone and I'm glad I signed up, because I'm really stumped when it comes to my Dakota these days. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. I have a 2004 quad cab, 4x4, auto with the 3.7, 100k miles. I first noticed after I'd had it awhile that when I would get up to 50 MPH it would start to miss. You could feel the engine through the sterring wheel and gas pedal bouncing, but once it got to 60 or above it went away and ran fine. I figured it was the plugs or TPS sensor so I changed both. It did not fix the problem. A week later I noticed that when it was idling the rpm would fluctuate up and down sometimes with a miss and then at other times it would be fine. It goes back and forth and hot or cold doesn't seem to matter although it does seem that when it's hot it is worse. The truck has NEVER shown a code. :confused: I then changed the air filter, PCV valve, MAP sensor and the inlet air sensor, also cleaned the IAC sensor and cleaned out the throttle body. Ran sea foam through the gas tank, had fuel pressure and cats checked, all good and STILL it has the same problems. :mad: I do not understand how a truck idling so bad and missing at 50, but not 60 cannot throw a code. I've read possible plenum gasket, but can't seem to see well enough down there to tell, but the engine is not making a single sound and oil loss is minumal for 100k miles. It has tons of power on the low end and untill I hit 50 it runs great until I come to a stop and then it idles horrible sometimes and other times not so bad. Have I said I'm stumped?!?! I'm a pretty good mechanic, but am at my wits end and so is my wife with my head under the hood all weekend trying to find out what's wrong with it. The dealers want 90 bucks an hour, but have said without a code it could take awhile for them to find issue and I'm not willing to spend alot of money on them for nothing. So has anyone got any ideas. I've thought from the beginning it was one problem, but maybe I'm looking at two problems and just don't know it. Thanks to everyone who reads this and maybe, just maybe someone may have the clue to fix this thing.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
You may also want to leave a visitor message for SPC.Brinkmeyer or Ramtech if you haven't done so already. Good luck!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Visitor msg.

Are you saying I should leave these two individuals a message of my issues that I have with the truck? Wasn't sure of what you were saying. Thanks

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Are you saying I should leave these two individuals a message of my issues that I have with the truck? Wasn't sure of what you were saying. Thanks
Just leave a short visitor message telling them that you have a mechanical issue you'd like their help with; you couls also include a link to this thread to keep from having to re-type. Brink has been around more lately than Ramtech, but you might leave a message for both. If you don't know how to leave a visitor message, I can leave one for you and you'll get the idea. I hope this helps.:)

·
Registered
242 Posts
sounds like a dirty injector or one with a bad seal, but should do it all the time. does it die when at idle then start right back up?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No. It does not die at idle. It has only ever bogged down once and died, but that was after I had put it in park and let it sit for about 2-3 minutes. Otherwise, no it has not died at all. I actually had it do something wierd yesterday. I was at stopped light, foot on the brake and all the sudden it felt like someone hit the gas pedal real quick and it lurched forward. Kinda scared the hell out of me for a second and then it went back to idling rough again. when it happened the rpms jumped up real fast then went back down. Still stumped?!?!?!

·
Registered
242 Posts
man, I woulda had to change my shorts. sounds like its pullin air thru a leak in the intake manifold or something when it does stuff like that. I don't think a bad gasket on the intake would throw a code but sure would play havoc on the computer trying to set the air fuel ratio,and that would surely throw a code, just guessing now. mine was idling rough and dieing, but would start right back up, it run out just fine, no cutting out at a certain mph like yours. just wouldn't idle. turned out to be the battery not holding enough charge after idle the alt. would take over. I put a new battery on it problem solved. I was ready to burn it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah,

It kinda scared the heck out of me. Most people I talk to keep saying it's sucking air from somewhere, but nobody can seem to find it. I've sprayed stuff all around the top of that engine and hoses, but it does not change the idle any. I cannot stand to take it to a dealer!! Especially after the guy told me 98 dollars an hour and that since it has no codes it could cost a small fortune to find the problem. I'm on the verge of burning it, but I love this truck so I've stuck it out this far. I just don't understand how it can run sooooo bad and there be no codes??? Baxter, not sure how to send the messages so if you would that would be great!! Can anyone tell me if they have had any plenum issues with this 04 or later 3.7?? I've read where it was fixed in the late 90's, but I'd hate to take this upper engine apart and it be good. Thanks for all the help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts