Dakota Forumz banner
221 - 230 of 230 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #221 ·
After removing the sleeve it is a very nice fit in the flywheel almost a thumb press. Being on center is key to a good result. The two bolts across from each other will secure the flywheel and after a quick the pressure plate can be added and checked. Yes, I retired in 2000 and have not personally balanced an engine since. Before that the pressure plates ( new ) required the greatest correction. Not sure anything has changed but I'll find out. Steve

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #222 ·
Must say there is no end to my resolve. I just got off the phone and it looks like my valve retainers won't be along until December. I'm not good with that at all. I have requested drawings and have begun a search for a CNC shop to make a run. Building a V6 Dodge sure is hard work. Steve

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #224 ·
It's important to install the front seal square, the outer dust exclude part is real hard the inner oil seal is much more pliable. I oiled the seal and the new balancer. The balancer is require to align the timing cover housing before torquing the housing bolts and the water pump bolts. Steve

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #226 ·
This is the timing cover gasket, it is a maybe aluminum shim ( on second thought must be steel as the magnet hardware bowl is holding it ) with a soft skin. I would like to look forward to no leaks. Steve

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #228 ·
There is a reward to buying the good stuff., with degree wheel still on rear of crank and dial indicator on #1 the new damper and cover agree. The front cover and water pump torque 30 ft lbs. I tapped the damper to engage the seal and snug bolts. Everything olied and gently pull it home with a big wrench. And it torques 210 ft lbs. Steve

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #230 ·
The instructions with the oil pump tell you to check fit with main cap. There is a recess in the cap and the pump should be a snug fit. Mine was a little thick and a few minutes with a fine file it slid right in place. If I had stuck it on and hit the bolts with an impact it would have cracked the rear main cap. After filing the pump I stripped and cleaned checked clearance torqued and mounted. As there are no lock washer on this engine I figure better living though chemistry. Of course this is just fitting up. no pickup yet.
I was made aware of a Machine Shop within 50 miles that is big into Dodge. Heading that way Monday. If I can learn more about head work all the better. Steve

221 - 230 of 230 Posts