Dakota Forumz banner
261 - 265 of 265 Posts

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
I glass beaded this one as well and this is the flywheel machine. Not sure what people like to see but with 3000 views in two months must be something here. I'll flip it over and secure for grinding. Steve
I've referred several folks over on Facebook to this build thread when they ask "What can I do to improve the performance of a 3.9 Magnum motor???"

I also check it every time there's a new post.

RwP

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #263 ·
Thanks Ralph, we are having a good time putting pics and info up for others to enjoy. While I have been building engines and transmissions since I was 11 years old. I still can learn something each day if I try.

It turns out the 11 / 12 inch clutch flywheel is a full three lbs lighter than the smaller clutch flywheel. Here the flywheel is bolted to the mandrel providing a shaft to run the assembly on it does protrude out the other side. I have also mounted the pressure plate. Due to trying to get things done in a timely manner I failed to do that the last trip to balance. That started the whole wrong clutch/ flywheel thing. Some one ask why the $97.61 was written on the pressure plate. Right side up that id 19 lbs. The weight of pressure plate and the correct flywheel is 32 lbs. The other flywheel is 35 lbs.
Had a good talk with the people at Hughes, my local CNC shop bid was to high on making the retainers. It's nice to have people take you serious and try and work with you. They did try another supplier but their samples were not correct. Once the clutch and flywheel are balanced and mounted I'll go after the cyl heads again. I have been working on my notes for my next call to Richard at HiPoTek. Our last talk he was very positive on some of my ideas and honest with his feelings about some others. Due to supply issues he was not able to supply my new TB at that time. Along with the TB I hope he will take the time to go over my efforts and talk about injector sizing and prefered sensors. Supply issues have slowed and continue to slow progress. Steve

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #264 ·
It must get lonely around here when I have to do other things. The correct flywheel is back from balance and the pressure plate as well. As it turns out a very small correction was all that was required unlike the heavier one balanced earlier. I like to balance all my work and feel it's one of the best things you can do with a rebuild. Steve

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #265 ·
Believe me the delay for parts to complete this build has taken some of the fun out of it. Not to worry I'm currently building three engines and transmissions for classic Mini Coopers. Each cost around $4,000 to $6,000 to build and sell a little higher than that. Steve

261 - 265 of 265 Posts