Dakota Forumz banner
261 - 280 of 404 Posts
I glass beaded this one as well and this is the flywheel machine. Not sure what people like to see but with 3000 views in two months must be something here. I'll flip it over and secure for grinding. Steve
I've referred several folks over on Facebook to this build thread when they ask "What can I do to improve the performance of a 3.9 Magnum motor???"

I also check it every time there's a new post.

RwP

Discussion starter · #263 ·
Thanks Ralph, we are having a good time putting pics and info up for others to enjoy. While I have been building engines and transmissions since I was 11 years old. I still can learn something each day if I try.

It turns out the 11 / 12 inch clutch flywheel is a full three lbs lighter than the smaller clutch flywheel. Here the flywheel is bolted to the mandrel providing a shaft to run the assembly on it does protrude out the other side. I have also mounted the pressure plate. Due to trying to get things done in a timely manner I failed to do that the last trip to balance. That started the whole wrong clutch/ flywheel thing. Some one ask why the $97.61 was written on the pressure plate. Right side up that id 19 lbs. The weight of pressure plate and the correct flywheel is 32 lbs. The other flywheel is 35 lbs.
Had a good talk with the people at Hughes, my local CNC shop bid was to high on making the retainers. It's nice to have people take you serious and try and work with you. They did try another supplier but their samples were not correct. Once the clutch and flywheel are balanced and mounted I'll go after the cyl heads again. I have been working on my notes for my next call to Richard at HiPoTek. Our last talk he was very positive on some of my ideas and honest with his feelings about some others. Due to supply issues he was not able to supply my new TB at that time. Along with the TB I hope he will take the time to go over my efforts and talk about injector sizing and prefered sensors. Supply issues have slowed and continue to slow progress. Steve

Discussion starter · #264 ·
It must get lonely around here when I have to do other things. The correct flywheel is back from balance and the pressure plate as well. As it turns out a very small correction was all that was required unlike the heavier one balanced earlier. I like to balance all my work and feel it's one of the best things you can do with a rebuild. Steve

Discussion starter · #265 · (Edited)
Believe me the delay for parts to complete this build has taken some of the fun out of it.
Edit: As we now know the Magnum cyl heads flow better than LA heads. Due to the short installed height of the valve springs getting .500 plus lift without coil bind or seal to retainer issues is a problem. One of the first things I ordered was a Cam Kit with springs, retainers and keepers. Had all the parts been available it would have been a drop in job. I have been though every progressive size chart and boxes of used retainers at every machine shop that would allow me to look in their scrap. I'm pleased to let everyone know I have a tracking # and hope to see the long lost retainers tomorrow. 9/25/21. Steve

Discussion starter · #267 ·
Seems funny here we are months down the road and material from page 3 comes back to the top. If you recall this engine core came from way up north. By wire brush and rust converter general appearance can be improved. While no performance increase they will look better. Once all port and machine work is done they will be assembled and painted. I'd like to think we can complete this project without further delay. Thanks for your interest. Steve

Did you finally get the retainers?

Best of luck!

(I've been following for in case I win the lottery and can build the motor I want for my Dakota. But dang it, they have this silly rule you have to pick the numbers and buy the ticket before the drawing ... )

RwP

Discussion starter · #271 ·
Due to a increase in rent I have been forced to relocate some of my things. These are projects for another day. On monday we placed the three body shells on the shelf. That gives me floor space to bring the truck inside. At my age when I do a lot of lifting, pulling and pushing I hurt the next day and can hardly move two days later. If the Advil kick in I may return to truck work today. Steve

Discussion starter · #272 ·
There is nothing like some more bad news. After spending some time cleaning rust off my cyl heads and doing some port work I noticed what appeared to be tiny hair line cracks between the valve seats in a couple cyls. Oh well new casting on the way. Steve

Discussion starter · #274 ·
It will be next wednesday before I have new castings to work with. Another $400. big deal, knew we were throwing caution to the wind anyway. Another set back not even a blink on the radar. It is clear this will get more technical as it goes along. Steve

Discussion starter · #276 ·
It turns out both heads cracked in same cyl same area. Rear drivers side front passenger. I'm going to get my eyes checked. I'd like to think the valve stem to guide clearance is good and the seats correct width and location on the new castings. Steve

261 - 280 of 404 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.