Dakota Forumz banner
301 - 320 of 365 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #301 ·
I have to admit these new heads are much better looking. Rust had gotten to the old heads and in spite of my best efforts the areas where the plug tubes fit and the head bolts seat were not responding as well as I'd have liked. I had struggled with weather to install hard exhaust seats. Both being cracked it doesn't matter any longer, and the new heads came with hard seats. I'm some what old school and keep a library of engine building books and I like to read. This book on cyl head modification by my friend David Vizard is a simple read and packed with info. Steve

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #302 ·
Back on the topic of core shift, in the early 90s when I was vintage racing I had two sponsors the one doing my engines ask me to supply a cyl head core. He also provided a list of six different core shifts and tells that the head should have. I bought 17 cyl heads all I could find locally. I was quite sure two were just what he wanted. I shipped both and he returned one right away and ported the other. Steve

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #304 ·
When we flip pages we kind of loose the pictures till we look back. The last pic was laying out exhaust side port matching. This of course is the intake side. I wanted to complete both heads yesterday so my pictures are a little fuzzy. As mentioned I'm only matching the ports and blending to valve bowls into the port. Using two different hi speed air tools one for stones and one for sand paper rolls. Steve

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #306 ·
Ok I'm thinking my hands get tired before I can complete a pair of heads in one setting. I did finish one and all but the intakes on the other. I went back today and finished the second head. While it may look as if I did a lot I was very light on metal removing mostly blending. My back and knees are whipped or I'd have washed the heads and lapped the valves for assembly today. Steve

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #308 ·
Taking a little break I pulled out the new distributor, there is not a lot to it. The cap has steel terminals and the center connection inside is not spring loaded. I have no idea who's cam position sensor they use. Steve

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #310 ·
At first glance you'd think it just looks bigger because of the color. But that's not the case, the towers are further apart and made of brass. The center contact is spring loaded and the rotor button is a little longer. Wider spacing less chance of cross fire. I'm looking for every little bit I can get. Steve

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #312 ·
And it screws right on and fits. There is something about working with new parts. There are no clear marking on the cam position sensor. I'm planning on speaking with three if not four shops dealing in Dodge electronics. I'll ask all which sensors I should be using. Also looking for some help on correct injectors. Steve

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #314 ·
I'm glad it shows better here than on my phone. I know I'm a little over the top so bare with me. In the area where the push rods go there is a lot of casting flash. I don't expect any of it will touch the push rods. That is also how oil returns to the base. I went after the flashing and smoothed the oil return paths. I'd like to have another 1/2 qt or more in the system. Once oil has done it's job the quicker back in pan the better. Steve

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #318 ·
This twelve at a time stuff starts to add up. I put the spider in to keep the lifters from falling out. I'm into my third generation oil splash shield template. It's not quite as simple as first appears. We talked about it before and I have thought about it and still feel some benefit to be had there. Steve

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #320 ·
I know we have seen this before, some think it's the solution to all 3.9 running issues. The problem with engines is all the neat stuff is inside. The oil pan covered up the aftermarket rods, pistons, and camshaft. The heads will close the bores with those sweet flat tops. We have a way to go yet I'll try to get better pictures. I tend to forget pics as things start wrapping up. This has drug on so long I have forgotten some of the things I have ordered. Steve

301 - 320 of 365 Posts