Dakota Forumz banner
321 - 340 of 365 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #322 ·
You would think hot Dawn soapy water scrubbing with car wash mitten, brushes, high pressure air and water would clean a cyl head. The amount of dust generated goes everywhere and tends to stay. Steve

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #324 ·
After soap and water and a couple sprays with Brake Clean and his is what I still get with a finger and paper towel. Over and over again. You can't put an engine together with that. Paper towels and acetone till it comes clean. Guide brushes and is ready to lap the valves once again introducing grit to our work. Steve

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #326 ·
If you have never lapped valves this may be of interest. The seats are machined and well done. The fuzzy ring is easier to see on the hard exhaust seat but there on both. The exhaust valve shows the width and location of the seat. It all looks good to me. They all have to be done and checked. Steve

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #328 ·
Trying to move it along, running two at a time. You can see all valves and seats have been lapped and cleaned. Using Brad Penn break in oil with a little Zinc added oil the valve stems. The lower picture is a valve seal and the sleeve used to protect the seal as it goes over the keeper groove during assembly. Steve

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #330 ·
With all valves in place the sleeve slips over the stem ( it may help to shorten the sleeve as it extends past the seal when installed ) with oily fingers it's hard to remove. While I did not get pictures I did measure retainer to seal clearance at full lift. If you recall the retainers have been a hold up for months. Valve lift is .507 in and ..517 ex and there is .125 min clearance. The straight springs also have a flat wound oil shield. Steve

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #332 ·
I used a deep socket to seat the seal. Seems to me Fel Pro used to provide a plastic tube for this purpose cost cutting I guess. And there you go we have a useful cylinder head. Steve

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #334 ·
The kind of white line around the chambers is where I de burred them, don't ask me I just do things. One last look at these wipe the cyls and oil. While I would have liked to skim the block it is flat and shows no sign of head gasket distress. The 318/5.2 pistons and Scat rods also 318 ( machined for side clearance ) worked out to be zero deck as installed. Steve

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #336 ·
That has to be one heck of a head gasket. I have been building 4 cyl engines all my life 10.2 to 1 is stock 13.5 to 1 race engines have played with higher. Those head gaskets torque to 42 ft lbs. These torque to 105 ft lbs. They are not going to fall off. With my Ketchup bottle of assembly oil/lube every where metal touches metal get oiled. There will be no dry start here. Steve

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #338 ·
I didn't mention these yesterday, at first glance they appear to be guide plates. And in a way they are, they do align the rocker pedestals they do not touch the push rods. This thing is going together and I for one am glad. Everything about this thing is just plain heavy. Steve

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #340 · (Edited)
I'm beginning to see the light. There is a lot to hang on this thing, just glad I have another to go by. I spent a lot of time on the Keg and now it's time to assemble it and drop it in place. Before the Keg goes in place I plan to fill the oil filter and attach. I like to pour a couple qts right into the lifter valley. I'll attach a mechanical oil pressure gauge and with electric drill and length of hex stock spin the oil pump. Like everything else in an engine the oil pump eats power. Once the pump primes you can feel the drag on drill / and a Hi vol / pressure pump ( which I did not use ) uses more power. I have no idea what knid of oil pressure we'll have. Unlike most engines I build the oil clearances have been held to what I consider tight factory specs. The new rods were machined to factory side clearance and deleted the spit holes. I'll get and share pictures. It may be some additional delays, I'm also building three engines for customers and that's what pays the bills. Steve

321 - 340 of 365 Posts