Dakota Forumz banner
381 - 400 of 403 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #383 ·
As things have been going for me of late, I have opened a large enough space in my shop to work around the truck and get the little cars in and out. I can fully open both doors. It seemed like a good idea to rinse off the truck, dry it before bringing it in. As I started to wash the bottom fell out. The faster I washed the harder it rained. Wash job done and well rinsed, I started backing in drying as I went. Truck clean and dry shop floor and me soaked. And it would be in the high 50s first time in awhile.
I wonder if the plate was a foretell? 3.9 2X no hope of double power but +20 was the target. Since there is nothing going back in to include the air filter element I'll be able to run some test on components of this engine. If the heads are cracked I may just sale the short block. I have spoken with Rich at HiPoTek a couple times I have a TB now being prepared and expect it when ever it gets here. The PCM has to be sent out I need to know that's good or not. Injectors are still a matter of discussion. Steve

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #385 ·
I clearly expected to make more progress today. I was planning on peeling an onion. It appears everything is bolted to everything it comes close to. On top of that there's another vacuum line split under. I'm going to take a look at vacuum system components. I know why I like brass freeze plugs. Thats not the only water ( if you call it that ) leaking. I have lost count of the engine flushes I have done. Before a road trip drain system add flush fill drive a couple days drain and refill new 50/50. Next time still mud. Steve

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #387 ·
Not sure where the water leak is coming from higher up. The loss of water is a fairly new thing. It may be an issue with the water outlet on the intake. I have decided there is an order to removing the AC and cooling components, it's fair to say I did not do it correctly. Seems the electric fan is bolted directly to the radiator, mine has not worked since I have had the truck. The cooling system has a very large surface area and capacity, I think the new system will do a much better job without the load of mud the current system has been dealing with.
Went back to the shop last night to turn on the heat and remove the PCM. The thing was still leaking muddy water on my freshly mopped floor. Steve

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #389 ·
There is an awful lot of stuff to unhook and tag. I'm going to feel so much better about my cooling system. I'm more than even money this has cracked heads. My new plan is to pull engine and tanny all together. Not going to fight those bolts tucked up under the fire wall. Steve

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #391 ·
Two things bother me about this pic first the rust where the parts meet second I can't help but wonder if my grounds are the same? Both will be cleaned to bare metal painted and assembled. Bare metal contact will be established on grounds then painted over. She is getting dressed for the party. If you go up 4 pictures you can see the difference in alternator under drive pulley fitted here. There is also a smaller crank pulley so everybody slows down. Steve

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #392 ·
My partner the Mature Marine is taking a break this week. He posts the pictures for me and they are the attraction. The old engine is still in place. New parts still coming in and I have quit trying to out think this thing. Thanks for the interest and I hope it is more than just eye candy for those of us who like this sort of thing. Steve

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #394 ·
I have drained, flushed, and tried to get this cooling system to work. I bought around $400. in cooling system parts but this type of drainage made me wait for a new engine. The other is the magnetic drain plug from tranny. That's not bad and the fluid looked good and had no bad smell. I figured I'd take a swing at pulling the engine and transmission as a unit. The tilt angle would have fluid all over the place so out it came. Steve

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #396 ·
I have a thread where I ask questions and Ralph posts Zip files or something. I was able to figure out getting to the shifter. I'm not impressed with the carpet in this truck. I know the first gear synchro is weak but the tranny has been fine the last 20,000. There are none in the yards, and remand are thin. If I have a problem with this trans I see no reason it can't be replaced with a Tre Mec five speed. We didn't come up with a lifting point. I went with chain front of one head to rear of other. I had to use enough chain to not put pressure on the fuel rail. Steve

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
I'd be interested in the 5 speed or 6 speed Tremec conversion if you do one; if I was to convert from a 3 speed auto, I'd go 4 speed auto or straight to a 6 speed manual myself.

(I found a 1988 LWB 4 speed auto donor; now if I can get back with money before they crush it ... )

RwP

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #398 ·
Hey Ralph, I'd say the four wheel disc, five speed manual and body shape we5re the determining factors in my 0.purchase. I have been in touch with two TREMEC conversion shops, and received a quote from one. The price was shocking and the parts listed don't fit my truck. A 3.9 does not require a externally balance flywheel and a bell housing at $1000 seemed a bit high. I have tried to buy a used NV3500 to take measurements but none to be had. I have one on the bench now.
My thoughts run along the lines of, a rebuilt exchange NV3500 is in the $1800/$2200 range plus shipping. We know the NV3500 was built for light trucks and at 4000 lbs with V8 power it may be approaching it's limit. The TREMEC five speed comes in several ratios rated for 500 lb ft and 7000 RPM shifts. Regardless of what I have done to this engine I can never see towing in O/D fifth gear. All offer 1 to 1 fourth so the best fifth would be the one giving highest speed per RPM. The TREMEC transmissions are in the $2500 range for a new top of the line unit. I may have to heal up from the engine work. Steve

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #400 ·
I think the correct lifting point is further back than the cowl would allow. I did not wish to remove the tranny cross member. By unbolting the mount I was able to raise the transmission with a tall floor jack. With cherry picker and jack the unit moved forward enough to attach a racket strap to the hook and around the tranny. Once the strap lifted the tranny off the jack up she came. The exhaust manifolds are a problem getting past the upper control arms. I believe the headers and motor mounts will be added after the engine and tranny are in place. Steve

381 - 400 of 403 Posts