Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Concerning my working on a Dakota, that is. I'd lots rather have a 2nd generation model and if I couldn't get one of those, I wish the '93 wasn't 4 wheel drive. I have found a '78 D100 Short wide with a 360/904, that is supposed to be a goods runner and the 360 HAS been warmed up a bit and the guy is open to trades as well, which is another point in MY favor. I've still been looking and have come up with several 440/727 combos & 1 413/727 set as well, but not that many trucks. Anyway, I WILL keep you all posted as to the progress, as it happens. Just wanted to bring you all up to date on how things were going. IF I was to end up dropping an early 360/727 (or904) in there, how well would the current transfer and differentials hold up? Is there a common gear ratio for these differentials? I probably need to find out for sure just what transmission is in there now and what the ratios are for the differentials, huh? Keep in mind that the trans and transfer are both completely rebuilt with virtually no miles on them. Which ever way I go, is still up in the air, for now.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Wel, I got an email from the '78 Dodge Truck owner, asking for pictures of my Trading material. I've sent them and just waiting to see IF he's interested. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
124 Posts
The transmission may bolt up, but I doubt it would be strong enough for a hopped up 360.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Still haven't heard a word! Kinda weighing my options now. I'll be back on in a bit. ;)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Cool. May be time to start looking at turbocharging that 3.9 :)

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cool. May be time to start looking at turbocharging that 3.9 :)

Ohhh, don't know if the Lil 3.9 would hold up, with that! Most likely would need to go through the engine. At least going through it and re ring and bearings, along with a valve job (At the very least)?

anyone know the what boost would be best and what kind of power and torque I could expect? Also, my Dad's '93 is 4wheel drive. That wouldn't be too cool, would it? :confused: I'll keep my eyes & ears open and see what I can come up with. I WOULD like to give the 3.9 a boost in my Dad's '93 but I can't see Putting a turbo in IT. Now, if I could get a Lil 2dr Std cab, might be cool to see what was possible. Drather get one and drop a 440/727 in it though! Sorry, I'm a Big Block Guy At Heart. What kind of a combo of parts and work would it take to get a Old Style 360 to roll out w/o breaking the bank? Is it possible to NOT break the bank and do that? I KNOW where there is a '69 Dodge Pkup (but it needs alot of work AND has the old style beam type axle. I'd feel better with at least a '72 Model, but would LOVE a Dakota (prefer a 2nd generation, but wouldn't be choosy, IF the deal was right). For ME, at this time, I could come closer to Trading for it.

You can bet, that I WILL keep you all posted. ;)

·
Registered
124 Posts
That's funny because I like the 1969 D100 myself. Would love to do a 360/727 combo in one of those with some "mild" upgrades.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's funny because I like the 1969 D100 myself. Would love to do a 360/727 combo in one of those with some "mild" upgrades.

Well, I ain't gonna lie about it, I like those myself and about all of those "squarish" looking ones from the early 60's til '71. But I was concerned about the suspension on the front end. Can you get that 1piece axle setup to handle pretty well? To back up what I am saying about MY preferences, check out the '68 I was building at one time. Sadly I didn't get it finished Or do I have any other pictures of it. Don't know why I took just this one, but I'm glad I at least took IT!

The tilt front end was all original steel. I almost finished it except for the securing it for driving. I had a 440/727 that was going into it, to replace the 318/ std trans. I had some pretty well detailed plans and at that point, I only head $100 and and old air compressor I traded for the truck itself (and the truck ran! ) :eek:

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I have NEVER heard back from the guy with that Dodge Truck with the warmed up 360/904 setup.

But, I was browsing the classifieds again and, even though I really wanted a 2nd generation Dakota, I have found a '92 Dakota that is right here in Greenwood Arkansas where I live. The listing was kinda sketchy. No mention of a title. Said it'd been lowered and now won't start. Doesn't say what engine/trans is in there. But, for $300, who knows. I've got an email off to him and waiting for a response. I can pick up an engine/trans combo for a fairly reasonable price. I think I'll hold off on telling AL:L that I am considering for a build. But here's the only picture there is, for now. Not REAL promising, but I don't think it's that bad either, for the price. ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts