Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy,

I once had a '96 Acura SLX(Isuzu Trooper w/ all the trimmings) and loved it. I was hit head on by a drunk on his 3rd DUI, and he totaled my baby. I decided to take the insurance money and get a 'commuter'. Nearly 2 years later, sick of the high maintenance cost, and STILL hating sitting that low to the ground. I bought a 1990 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab 3.9L V-6 with a manual tranny, 94,000 miles and a Leer canopy(leveraged the peeling paint and water leak to talk them down from $1,500-$1,200) so that I can sell my 'commuter', a 2000 Volkswagen Passat 1.8L Turbo 4-cyl. sedan. I'm now back in a truck, and have joined the ranks of American's driving American, and appreciating the low maintenance cost. :)

My Dakota is in the shop getting the water leak fixed and the A/C compressor clutch replaced. Next on the list when I get it back is to paint it(most likely myself), tint the windows(maybe myself?), and upgrade the sound system. I'm considering redoing the interior to match the new body color. Throughout this process of making my Dakota one heck of a daily driver, I'm sure I'll stop by more than once for advice/tips. Thanks so much for the forum, I'm honored to be a part, and eager to learn about my baby!

First question: Anybody here chipped they're 3.9L V-6? I'm considering it(70 more HP at about a buck a horse) but also curious about any negative effects it could have, or if there are any recommended chips?

Thanks,
Welsher

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Welcome to the Z Family from Southern Georgia!
Glad you decided to join us.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Welcome! Glad to have you with us! Looking forward to your contributions!

not sure about the chips for your model year but the general consensus on here is that using a chip is not the best way to go. if there is a tuner for your model year i would look into that instead. its a little more expensive but you are actually reprogramming your computer instead of just tricking it

1 - 5 of 5 Posts