Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was going to buy a cold air for my 02 4.7L Dakota, one thing led to another though and I ended up getting a free one (which cost about $200-$300 is my best guess) off of a wrecked 02 RAM 1500. Pretty much just took the filter itself since I've got the hose from my stock intake. Of course they weren't the same size, a little stretching of the rubber hose and some clamps though and I got everything together good and tight. Buuuuuut (because there always has to be a but to everything lol), there's this little rubber hose that connected to the chamber which held the filter in my stock intake (no idea where it goes) that I have to deal with now. I'm pretty sure it connected below the filter, which would mean the air has to be filtered and I can't just leave. I could somehow connect it to the rubber hose after the new aftermarket filter, but I would have to cut a hole in the hose, which I don't really want to do, and it would be tacky anyway. My best idea so far is to clamp a couple layers of a a clean shop rag over it and call it good, but do you guys have any better ideas? And does anybody know where that hose goes? As you can see there's a T connection right there so either it's going to two different places on the same doohicky or it's going to two different things entirely.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I think this is the fresh air inlet for your PCV system. There should be one hose going to the rear of each cylinder head that connects to a "system breather". This provides filtered air that eventually is drawn out of the crankcase system at the PCV valve in the valve cover.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
If it is the PCV inlet - the 2002 4.7 uses a MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) sensor instead of a MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor. This means it's a speed density ECU.

Good news is, you don't need that filtered after the MAF since you don't have one; a good filter going into it, swapped every so often, and you'll be golden. It SHOULD be filtered though; it IS sucking into your intake via the PCV valve.

RwP

1 - 4 of 4 Posts