Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a new 1992 v6 regular cab with a manual transmission and 150,000 miles. I want to give the whole truck a good run through/cleaning to make it run as strong and efficient as possible. So I'm wondering where should I start? What needs to or should get replaced? What do you guys make sure to do after buying a used truck?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I also have a "first gen" Dakota and my experiences of late MIGHT help answer your question. Shortly after I bought it I took it to a friend who owns his own automotive machine shop for an evaluation. He said that everything seemed to be in order except for one thing - the manifold pressure was too low. So I asked what might cause that and he replied that it was almost surely a worn timing chain & gears set. With that many miles on the truck I could certainly understand that, so I set about replacing those. I immediately ran into problems; the story is too long to tell it all here, but I wound up having to remove BOTH heads and having a "valve job" done. And HERE is the part of the story that answers part of your question. ALL OF THE VALVES HAD TO BE REPLACED. Some were bent (part of my "long story"); but those that were not required replacement anyway because grinding them left an edge that was so thin that they no longer would serve as an adequate heat sink. THE VALVES TAKE A BEATING! And I'm guessing that you don't want to hear about tearing the engine down.... but experience has shown me that this is a REAL POSSIBILITY in the 3.9L with many miles on it...... FredT

1 - 3 of 3 Posts