Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I snapped a lug nut stud the other day. I've taken it out and bought the replacement, however I can't figure out how to get it in the whole. There is no spot in the rotation that there is clearance for it, it's about 1/8 inch too long. Any ideas how to get it in, or just I find a shorter one or cut the end off?

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Front or rear?

If front, take the hub off and replace it.

I'd replace the other 5 also, just because.

If rear, then you may need to pull the axle to replace it.

If so, again, I'd highly consider redoing the rear bearings and seals.

RwP

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How much work is it to replace the hubs? Just the front, that's where the stud is broken. Its a 4wd too. Do you need to remove the axle?

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
For a 2002 - chock the back tires so it won't roll, jack the front up, put jackstands under it.

Remove the wheel on that side.

Take the caliper loose and hang it safely so that there's no weight on the brake hose.

Remove the rotor and store it aside.

Remove the spindle nut and washer. You don't need to remove the axle from the truck, but you will need to remove the hub from the axle.

Unbolt the three or four bolts that hold the hub to the spindle.

Remove the hub.

Reverse to assemble.

Do note, most of these bolts may be a bit stiff; keep another vehicle nearby because these trucks are bad about the caliper mounting bolts stripping out at the spindle, and the best cure is to Helicoil(tm) or similar to replace the stripped threads, although Dorman lists an oversized caliper bolt; and some folks have had to use a Big Frelling Hammer to get the old hub loose.

I'd HIGHLY recommend picking up a competent service manual (the PDF of the FSM may be available for download on some of the Dodge forums; or you can buy the PDF at $7.50 or so on Ebay) and referring to that. This was not quite the Cliff Notes / Reader's Digest version, but it's not the War and Peace version either *grins*

When you buy the hub, don't buy the cheapest you can. I'm an olde phart, I'd stick with Timken, National, or SKF if not Mopar.

Due to age and mileage, I'd highly consider doing the OTHER side also; although, since it's for a broken stud, that may not apply.

RwP

·
Registered
15 Posts
You won’t have to pull the axel for the rear I’ve replace a few back and front and it’s roughly the same process, I didn’t even have an impact drill sadly so I used a metal spacer and a spare lug nut and a breaker bar, studs have held up just fine for the last few years and I got them from auto zone

1 - 5 of 5 Posts