Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2002 4.7 Dakota, 200,XXX miles. I'm going thru about a quart of oil every 1500 to 2000 miles for the past 10,000 miles. I don't think I am burning it, its not in the radiator nor on the garage floor.
Where else can it go?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is no oil in my tailpipe, my friend said that he didn't see any blue cloud when I asked him to trail me and I floored it and I changed spark plugs about 10K miles ago (original plugs). All the plugs were clean. My millage has not changed in the 195K miles that I have owned it. ( yes I write down my gas every time I fill it). Myoil consumption started to increase from about 6K miles to the quart to where it is now. I use Mobile 1 oil. Maybe it doesn't burn blue??

·
Registered
2003 RT (5.9)
757 Posts
Well, at 200k, if it was me, I could certainly live with 1 quart to 1500-2000 miles, but I realize that is not what you are asking.

I don't know, but one guess might be that it is leaking down into your combustion chamber(s) through the valve seals when it is parked. In other words, maybe it isn't actively pumping oil into the cylinders while you are driving. But that's just a guess. Generally, I would expect a good puff of smoke when it starts up if that was the case.

I am going way back in time here, but I remember our high school shop teacher (who happened to be a big MoPar guy and who said that the 383 was the best engine ever made) told us about a Dodge engine he once had that he said would "hide" a quart of oil after every oil change, and after he replaced the "hidden" quart, it was good. I never did come to terms with exactly how an engine could "hide" oil, but regardless, from your description, I don't think that's it.

I'll be curious to see what feedback you get on this, and if you do figure anything out, let us know.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I had a PT that used a qt every 1500 or so since new, mobil oil always at 5000 change intrevels. Changed the valve guide seals at 90K and it never used oil again. Also never any blue smoke.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts