Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so yesterday I was bored and decided to clay bar my truck. This was my first time using a clay bar and I have to say the results were impressive. After waxing the truck, I stood back admiring my handiwork and I noticed the waterspots on the glass that I never could quite get rid of. Then it hit me - why not give it a try? I took the clay bar to the glass on my truck and viola! no more water spots and the windows are now slicker than they've ever been. I finished off the job by removing the residue with Invisible Glass and hit the windshield with coat of Rain-x. Then I moved on to the chrome grille and hit it with the clay bar as well. Same result - a smooth, shiny finish. Who knew?!

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
This thread is useless without pics!!!

LMAO

i thought when you used a claybar you had to have all that junk off the car first so as to not get it caught in the bar and scratch the paint?

·
Registered
109 Posts
This thread is useless without pics!!!

LMAO

i thought when you used a claybar you had to have all that junk off the car first so as to not get it caught in the bar and scratch the paint?
Waterspots can be mineral deposits that are so minuscule that washing will not remove them. Bug and tar remains that you find on your front bumper or fascia that will not be removed by chemical action or soap, you will need to use a clay bar. I will NOT use clay on a contaminant that I can get off with soap, or pull off with my hands. So it would be advised that you make sure your paint is clean as much as possible, use a high lubricity lubricant, and check the clay frequently for contaminants that are caught and could scratch the paint.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Waterspots can be mineral deposits that are so minuscule that washing will not remove them. Bug and tar remains that you find on your front bumper or fascia that will not be removed by chemical action or soap, you will need to use a clay bar. I will NOT use clay on a contaminant that I can get off with soap, or pull off with my hands. So it would be advised that you make sure your paint is clean as much as possible, use a high lubricity lubricant, and check the clay frequently for contaminants that are caught and could scratch the paint.
good advice! thanks. ive never used one myself, but i sure would like to try it. i have seen cars before and after and it is simply amazing what those things do!!

·
Registered
109 Posts
There! :D

I square foot of the hood of our magnum. Basically 5 years of contamination that cannot be seen or felt on the paint until you use a clay bar.

·
Registered
0 Posts
You'll need at least 3 clay bars, Jerry...LOL

Nice work. When I found out about clay bars I was ecstatic!!!

·
Registered
109 Posts
You'll need at least 3 clay bars, Jerry...LOL

Nice work. When I found out about clay bars I was ecstatic!!!
You just need to use it right :D

I had several years of debris on the lower rockers of a car I was detailing and I clayed it using "Bug and Tarminator" as lubricant to cut through the build up and lube the clay. Although it worked fantastically, the Tarminator destroyed the clay [not the most efficient use of clay]. You can also break the clay into small pieces it will last a long time.

When I used it on my 10+year old dakota, I prewashed it with Dawn and used Turtle Wax liquid clay bar. Turtle wax products are completely junk for the most part, and the liquid clay bar does not substitute the real thing, but it will cut your claying time down significantly by removing the "looser" of the embedded debris.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I keep hearing about this stuff. I guess I'm gonna have to break down and give it a try. But, you know, If I use it on the '93 Dakota, I'm gonna have to use it on my Charger as well. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
41 Posts
The clay bar is great! I use it every year. Once the truck is washed, I clay bar it. The clay not only removes stuck on small particles, it removes old wax too. Once it's clayed I use nu finish scratch doctor to help remove swirls and hair line surface scratches. Once that's done I will either polish or wax it. It's about a 3-4 hr project but wanna talk about a deep shine.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Ok I ll ask the question, Having never used or heard of clay barring a vehicle What is it, where do I get it? How do I used it and when. I am about to repaint my 96 dakota using Kirker Chanti Red Mettalic and would like it to stay "Like New" for a long time
Thanks I get the general idea but some specifics would be really nice
Thanking you in advance

·
Registered
680 Posts
Ok I ll ask the question, Having never used or heard of clay barring a vehicle What is it, where do I get it? How do I used it and when. I am about to repaint my 96 dakota using Kirker Chanti Red Mettalic and would like it to stay "Like New" for a long time
Thanks I get the general idea but some specifics would be really nice
Thanking you in advance
Clay bars are absolutely fantastic, the paint is so smooth after you're finished. I use it at least once a year, It needs to be done when you're waxing your vehicle. You can find them anywhere that you buy you other car detailing products, auto stores, Target, Walmart, or online at many sites including Amazon. I use Mothers clay bar kit.

Here's the process (my process anyway).

• Wash truck
  • Remove any contaminants with Bug & Tar remover
  • Clay bar vehicle
  • Wax vehicle
The clay bar process is simply,

• shaping the clay into a small pad
  • then spray a small area, like 2' by 2', with the liquid spray
  • pass the clay bar over the area a few times with a smooth motion across, until you will feel a smooth glide over the area
  • wipe the area with a microfiber towel
  • put the clay bay back into a ball and reshape it again (when both sides have been used)
  • finish doing the entire vehicle
  • wax vehicle
  • enjoy beautiful look of your vehicle
Don't forget a few frosty beverage breaks.

Check out some videos on youtube.

·
Registered
37 Posts
This sounds like some of the TLC I need to give the '90 convertible when I get it home to Texas. Any tips for cleaning convertible top and most importantly the plastic rear window in top (currently not able to see much thru it)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts