Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 SLT Quad cab, 5.9, 4×4, my question is, why would a Dakota have 6 lug nuts, I know on a full size, it's a 3/4 ton, but I don't know what the significance is on a Dakota

·
Registered
404 Posts
A full-size truck with 6 lugs is not a 3/4 ton, it's a 1/2 ton.

Small cars would usually have 4 lugs…If I recall correctly, the Yugo had three lugs. I do remember that early 60's Mustangs with a straight six would have 4 lugs, the V8s had 5 lugs. It was a quick way of telling which engine it likely had

Most downsize and full-size half ton trucks have 5 lugs. Some had 6 lugs. The Dakota Durango have 6, but also some older full size Chevy trucks, Full size Jeep, Toyota and a few others

3/4 and one tons typically have 8 lugs, but some one tons also had 10 lugs.

Technically, having 6 lugs provides a slight strength advantage over a 5 lug (Provided the stud size are the same). The disadvantage is mostly cosmetic in that there aren't as many aftermarket rim options available.

Ed

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RXT thanks for the info, kind of thought the 6 lugs were for added strength, but wasn't sure.
I always thought that the full size like say the F150 were 1/2 tons with 5 lugs, and 6 lugs were 3/4 ton, so I learned something new tonight lol thanks again

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have wheel adapters on my 96 from small 6 lug pattern to large 6 bolt now I have 17" GMC factory aluminum wheels on mine

1 - 5 of 5 Posts