Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was heading home from the North Carolina today and I noticed that the A/C fan wasn't moving alot of air through the vents. I had the A/C on full blast but it felt like the fan was on low speed even though it was on high. The air was ice cold but hardly any was moving through the vents. I noticed a loud noise inside the dash when the air was in MAX and not so loud but same kind of sound when on normal panel. It sounded like air was trapped in there. This happened mid way through the trip back.
This was a six hour drive and it was very hot in the mid to high 90's and very high humidity. The only traffic I ran into was just before the bridge at the Virginia/Maryland line.
I went to my girlfriends house for a few hours afterward and when I left, the A/C came on full blast as though nothing was wrong with it. The cab was like an ice box the whole way back from her place. Any ideas on this problem?
Thanks

·
Registered
63 Posts
Were you on alot hills? I've had that problem before on other vehicles,when the vacuum would get low because of the throttle opening.
If the door on the separator closed when it lost vacuum it may not have been able to open with the air blowing against it.
I'm not sure how to fix it, but I will check around.

·
Registered
115 Posts
blower motor resistor or blower motor going bad i would say... ill see if i can find the proper ohm readings and such

EDIT. well aparently chiltons manual online dont have the resistance values just the wireing diagram. if you have a haynes manual for the truck you can look it up in there if not let me know i have a 04 and your truck is in the manual so i can look up the values when i get home if you want... just let me know

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I dont have those manuals. I have a company truck (brand new) and it does the same thing. But if there is something mechanically wrong then Iwould like to know. The company truck is a '10 ranger and it's a dog pile. It's been through two alternators and three batteries,runs rough and has a hard time idling when it starts. I can't compare my dodge to that ford, the dodge is better in many many ways. Much more reliable and never left me stranded calling for a tow.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Weird A/C problem

The condition you described about very little air flow fron the A/C vents is generally caused by the evaporator freezing up due to very high humidy. The evaporator becomes a frozen chunk of ice on the outside thus keeping the air from flowing through the cooling fins. You should check you evaporator drains to make sure they are open and the moisture can drain. If it happens again try putting it on fresh air and turning off the compressor until normal air flow resumes.

Bob

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. I will try that.Another thing I just recently noticed too is that more air comes out of the center vents than the side vents. The dash has been taken apart because my drain was flowing into the passenger side. It's all fixed now, the drain seal went bad.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts