Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this 2002 Dakota SXT 3.9l last week and it hasnt had any brake pedal whatsoever. Today, I discovered that my passenger side Caliper was stripped (the sliding bolts that clamp it together) and that my back drum brakes hadn't ever been looked at. It is all corroded and the self-adjusting cable was snapped into ON BOTH DRUMS. Could all of this be the reason that I have no brake pedal? Tomorrow I am going to fix all of that. My ABS light and BRAKE lights are on I'm sure because of these reasons. Do you guys think that I will have a pedal once I fix these issues or is there a problem with my Master Cylinder/Booster/Lines/etc.. Any input is welcome! Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm getting ready to leave and get the parts in the next hour or so, if anyone reads this and thinks that I need to grab something else that may help plz let me know, i will check this thread before leaving. ( also, i have put another brake booster in and taken it back out, mine is not bad and the new one did not help a thing just fyi)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for all the feedback guys. Appreciate it! Anyways, I replaced both front calipers and got one of the drum brakes done ( first one, such a pain ) lol! Got the other one in the morning, hope this gives me a firm pedal. You should have seen the mess that was inside those drums lol! It hadnt ever been touched.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah, i finally got the back brakes working correctly only to find out that i had stripped threads on the back end of the caliper bolts. got something to tap those tho. going to put the new rotor on tomorrow. i have replaced everything but the brake pads. putting a new caliper and a new brakes hose on the passenger front in the morning. still no pedal, but im assuming it's because the caliper was clogged off (i wasnt getting any fluid out of the bleeder when pumping and bleeding the front passenger so i went and got a new hose and caliper)... wish me luck, because if this doesn't work i will be replacing the master cylinder. thanks for the good wishes! i will let you know how it goes tomorrow brother! goodnight!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
UPDATE: I went to put my brake hose ( from the caliper to the fitting above the wheel) and the previous owner had already rounded the nut on the brake line compression fitting. :/ ... If I finally somehow get the nut loose by any means necessary could I just replace the nut or do I have to cut it and couple or replace the whole line?? PLZ HELP someone anyone lol

·
Administrator
2,919 Posts
You'll probably have to cut the line further back and add a section, not sure if you will have enough to reach if you just cut it and re-flare with a new fitting.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was successful in getting the larger nut on the brake hose that fits under the clip loose. Thanks tho Joe!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All of the threads for the caliper in the knuckle are stripped and so i must use Heli-Coils. :/

1 - 9 of 9 Posts