Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of working to replace the water pump on my 2000 Dakota with the 3.9 and when removing the fan shroud and reaching in on the passenger side to pop out the little plastic plug, which was a pain, I ran into an early problem. When I finally got the plastic plug to release when prying it out with a prybar, I look down and see a wire hanging/swinging that ends in a 2 prong female boot that I am guessing came loose from something when the shroud plug popped out and the prybar moved back in the direction of the passenger fender. My problem is that for the life of me I cannot find anywhere that boot connects! I cannot feel any place it connects and cannot see anything with the range of vision I can manage in that area from the top or the bottom.

So, I need some help locating what that might have been connected to or someone to confirm for me that - yes - there is a boot like this hanging there and it is just not connected to anything because of the various options each truck might have. I am even wondering if it could have been for fog lights, which my truck does not have but some daks do.

Anyone with knowledge of this truck find the same things and can help me out with this? I keep trying to look for the place to plug it in and don't want to keep wasting time if it was always just hanging there and I didn't notice it earlier.

·
Registered
610 Posts
If the wire colors are blue with a black tracer for one wire and black for the other wire, you are right in your hunch about fog lamps. It uses a 2 pin female connector and is located on the passenger side.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much for trying to help out oldmarine! Sadly, those are not the colors. One wire is brown with a light green stripe and the other is black with a light blue stripe. I have the fan shroud out, the fan/clutch, waterpump and alternator and I still can't find where that might plug in! Again, it is on the passenger side and hangs down right under where the upper hose leaves the radiator. Still hoping someone might be able to identify this!

·
Registered
610 Posts
The ambient temperature sensor uses those colors, well actually black/light blue and violet/light green, but I'm sure the violet can look brown when it's 20 years old. The ambient temperature sensor is used with the high end overhead console system with the compass, trip computer, etc. If you don't have that console, you probably don't have an ambient temperature sensor. If you have the ambient temperature sensor, it's a variable resistor mounted with a screw to the right side of the radiator yoke.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oldmarine, thanks for helping me figure this out! I found a portion with some tape on it I could peel back and it is definitely violet and light green and the 20 year explosed wire just looked brown like you suggested! I have no compass/trip computer stuff and there is nothing for it to plug in to on the radiator so mine must have just been dangling loose and I never saw it until it was swinging after I popped off the shroud and I assumed I must have knocked something off. You are what a forum like this is all about - no bs or uninformed opinions but good solid help that solved the issue for a fellow wrench turner! Thanks again.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Glad I could be of help. I'm not a professional mechanic, although my father was, but I have been working on my own cars for over 60 years, and have become quite adept at reading wiring diagrams and interpreting service manuals.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
While I feel pretty comfortable turning wrenches...I have always struggled a bit with reading wiring diagrams. I just can't get the lines on the page to line up with what I am seeing on the car. I need to picture of the actual stuff and the diagrams don't look anything like what I am seeing. Anyway, thanks again for the info...I really do appreciate it!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts