Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i purchased this 98 2.5L a few months ago it had a slight miss at idle but ran good i got it E-tested it failed then a day later i was driving it (about 30 min) it started to miss on 1 cylender the 2 then all. It has 210,000 miles on it, the timing chain had a slap so i pulled the cover and the tensioner was badly worn i replaced it put it back together still has the same prob. Now im not sure what direction to go in maybe cat? maybe sensor? any thing hepls thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
maybe the distributor cap wasn't tightened properly/completely, and the distributor cap turned from the vibrations, and the spark plug timing got off. try renting a timing ligh and re-timing it.

edited 10/03/11
also, i was having a few issues like this while working on my engine, the issue could also be that the idle speed might need to be adjusted.

·
Registered
5 Posts
the distributor is mounted solid u cant adjust the timing like the old days and the cap has 2 screws on it so that couldnt be the problem i had the famous 2.5 timing chain rattle can sound i bought a kit replaced the chain gears and tensioner the sound is gone runs good but mine didnt have a miss i would say that yours is not a o2 sen not a cat it has something to do to the firing im not sure if the 2.5 has a crank sensor or not my 5.2l magnum does but not sure on the 2.5 ill look in the morning and see if they do i would deff check on that

1 - 3 of 3 Posts