Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 02 Dakota that will start and run for 5-10 seconds then shut off. I just changed the ignition key tumbler assembly and only disconnected the negative battery terminal. It started and stayed running before I did the work on it. Anything I can look for?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I agree with 99beater ... also, check to make sure your battery terminal is clean and the connection is good and tight. I had a '92 Firebird that did this when I changed the ignition - I cleaned and tightened up my terminal and I was good-to-go.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had that problem a few years back it ended up having to go to the dealer where they replaced a section of wire coming off the power distribution box under the hood

·
Registered
50 Posts
Sounds like a problem with the Sentry key immobilizer.

Do you have a key with a gray rubber top?

·
Registered
5 Posts
1992 dodge dakota 4x4 3.9 ?

thought id try ad reset the computer by disconnecting battery for 10 min and now it runs fine but for how long what was the cause of the problem any ideas so this wont happen again?

·
Registered
5 Posts
dodge dakota 4x4 3.9 reset computer fixed

disconnected battery for 10 min now engine runs fine but for how long any ideas what caused the problem:confused: it was starving for something not fuel this may have solved it for now but later who knows ???????????????

·
Registered
115 Posts
could have just needed to reset the security system with the new tumbler assy???
other than that idk
when dad changed his on a monte carlo it did almost the same thing but it was only like 10sec it would run

1 - 10 of 10 Posts