Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yep, I haven't heard back on the D100 yet, but in the process of continuing to look, I HAVE come across a '92 Dakota (std cab, 2 whl dr, 4cylinder, std) that needs work, for $300. It doesn't run, but turns over. (Don't really care about that part, since I want a V8 anyway). I HAS been lowered, but I'm not certain how they did that. I have just (a few minutes ago) gotten an email from the guy and it does have a title as well.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I'd like to hear from anyone who's done a V8 swap and get input. Meanwhile I have found a mount conversion kit for small block & big block swaps. Here is what they say, about the subject. Like to hear about any possible diviations.

Oops, that was only part of the deal. I got my info from http://www.engine-swaps.com/Pages/ProductsYear/87.96Dakota.html

WHOA!, I just got through looking at THEIR prices! All I can say is, HELP!

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Well, I heard back from the guy with the '92 Dakota. Now, we are working on a good time for me to go look at it and decide. I had told him that if I got it, I'd just rent a tow dolley and bring it home. Well, when he emailed me tonight, HE told ME that IF I bought the truck, he'd deliver it to me! :cool: Looking pretty good! ;) Looks like I just might be starting to make some REAL plans for the '92 Dakota. Once I get definite plans made, then will come the transformation. :D

Just made contact again with the owner of the '92 Dakota. I'm going down tomorrow morning to see it and make a decision. So, if things go right, I'll be the new owner of a '92 Dakota (2whl dr, std cab) w/ the 4cylinder engine and std trans. ;)

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Possible Inspiration for the '92, should I get it tomorrow. Of course Mine will set lower and, I'm looking at Black for the color.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
63 Posts
very nice older dakotas are nice project trucks ill see if i can find pics of my buddys viperkota lol viper red 1992 dakota with a 1998 dodge viper engine and tranny back to the wheels full fabbed interior to fit the tranny lol has two viper bucket seats with a sealed box with a full wheel well to fit the viper rear end and tires its a sick truck

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
very nice older dakotas are nice project trucks ill see if i can find pics of my buddys viperkota lol viper red 1992 dakota with a 1998 dodge viper engine and tranny back to the wheels full fabbed interior to fit the tranny lol has two viper bucket seats with a sealed box with a full wheel well to fit the viper rear end and tires its a sick truck
Whoa! :eek: I can ONLY imagine!:cool: I can't wait to see THAT! And, I THOUGHT I was pushing it, when thinking about a 440/727 swap> :rolleyes:

BTW, I just made the deal to get the '92 Dakota I was dealing for. It's gonna be delivered tomorrow. Got a 4cylinder w/ 5speed trans. The truck is DEFINITELY a "Project" Truck. but for the money, how could you expect anything else? :confused: Gonna be looking at other Dakotas, for more ideas (already got some). Thanks for posting Bill

Also: I've got a bunch of receipts for work that was done to the little 4 cylinder and especially the 5sp trans.

·
Registered
63 Posts
ok well i just called him and he will send me pics that he put on google lol and he said he just bought a second 92 dakota and he is gonna be putting a 427 hemi in it lol

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok well i just called him and he will send me pics that he put on google lol and he said he just bought a second 92 dakota and he is gonna be putting a 427 hemi in it lol

While That's cool and all, I'd like to see someone drop a 440 6pk in one with one of those Keisler 6sp. trans, followed up by a positrac unit at the rear. :D

·
Registered
133 Posts
While That's cool and all, I'd like to see someone drop a 440 6pk in one with one of those Keisler 6sp. trans, followed up by a positrac unit at the rear. :D
Well what are you waiting for. My next dakota will have a hemi in it. That will be cool.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well what are you waiting for. My next dakota will have a hemi in it. That will be cool.

The "Cost" is a pretty good hindrance. I have located a 440 6pk engine, but it's $3300. That, in itself, is a pretty big drawback. :(

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Another inspiration shot. Not necessarily the color, but mostly features like the Challenger hood scoop design. Not ruling the color out. mind you. ;)

·
Registered
133 Posts
thats the same hood that i got. I got it from AAR Hoods. itsw a badass hood. thats another 500$ with shipping. then get it painted.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
thats the same hood that i got. I got it from AAR Hoods. itsw a badass hood. thats another 500$ with shipping. then get it painted.

That's good to know. Listen, I just got the truck here and have been looking it over. It's gonna take a lot, just like I figured and I see NOW, how it is sitting so low. There are no front springs on it and the rear end has been blocked enough that it is ALSO sitting against the frame. I will need info on lowering this thing properly. Now, It is obvious to me that I can't get it this low without notching the frame or some such. And THAT'S fine, because I don't want it THAT low anyhow. Just want it to be down some. What do you think?

I STILL am glad I got it. There is still alot of potential, it's got a clear title and it didn't cost that much to get a base to build on. Gonna get some pictures in a little bit and get them posted as I can. When I get pictures posted, some folks might very likely think i wasted my money, but that will be their opinion and as long as I think I did good, that's what matters, eh? ;)

·
Registered
133 Posts
http://www.cheaptruckparts.com/prod...subcategory2_id/21/tbds/14/products_id/35044/?
http://www.cheaptruckparts.com/prod.../subcategory2_id/20/tbds/14/products_id/2373/?
http://www.cheaptruckparts.com/prod.../subcategory2_id/22/tbds/14/products_id/2509/?

This is basically what i have. i have these leaf springs and added a 1" clock to get me 4 inches of lowering in the rear. I used these spindles for a 2" drop and added 3" drop springs in the front to get me level. some trucks need them and some dont. I originally bought the kit to do a 3-4 drop. then my ass end was lower than the front so i had to get the 2" spindles to level it. its dam near perfect now. i also used nitro drop shocks all the way around. i had to have someone make new U-bolts for the rear but that was cheap. any local metal shop can do it. just give them the length. Ill keep lookn for some other parts tonight if i get a chance. hope this is a good start.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
http://www.cheaptruckparts.com/prod...subcategory2_id/21/tbds/14/products_id/35044/?
http://www.cheaptruckparts.com/prod.../subcategory2_id/20/tbds/14/products_id/2373/?
http://www.cheaptruckparts.com/prod.../subcategory2_id/22/tbds/14/products_id/2509/?

This is basically what i have. i have these leaf springs and added a 1" clock to get me 4 inches of lowering in the rear. I used these spindles for a 2" drop and added 3" drop springs in the front to get me level. some trucks need them and some dont. I originally bought the kit to do a 3-4 drop. then my ass end was lower than the front so i had to get the 2" spindles to level it. its dam near perfect now. i also used nitro drop shocks all the way around. i had to have someone make new U-bolts for the rear but that was cheap. any local metal shop can do it. just give them the length. Ill keep lookn for some other parts tonight if i get a chance. hope this is a good start.
Sounding good, to me! Also, is there someplace online where I can see a parts breakdown that will show the front end components and their location in relation to where they are, on the front end? I ask this because I need to be certain about exactly what I'm missing. That way, I can go to a wrecking yard and get some of the stuff, so I can be sure to put this back right. I AM going to poll the local wrecking yards for things as I go also. I'll be making a list of wrecking yard parts AND I'll be looking to find out what parts will swap out from one year model to the next AND if there are parts from other models that can be substituted also. I hope to buy ONLY the custom parts from vendors, that I HAVE TO.

I appreciate YOUR input here AND anyone else who has something to offer.

At this point, I'm thinking: Gloss (or Brilliant)Black paint (maybe some kind of accenting to set it off. 5 Spoke wheels with black centers and silver (or aluminum rims and maybe silver center caps and lug nuts. 440/727 (1st choice) or 360/727 (2nd choice) Suitable differential w positraction (8 3/4, Dana 60, etc ALL depends on availability and cost) Smoked or tinted lights (or covers) Bucket seats w/ console may be custom gauges Heater (No A/C) Lowered reasonably. Rear disc brakes Decent stereo with adequate speakers and CD changer (Not looking to out perform the sound of the exhaust, with the stereo. Some kind of hood w/scoop (or add a scoop myself. exhaust consisting of headers, suitable performance type mufflers and tail pipes (may turn pipes out to come out in front of the rear wheels with tips. Custom steering wheel.

That's all I can think of for now, I'm sure I've left out something and since this IS PLANNED ( I say Planned, because we all know that sometimes we tend to get anxious and try to speed things along) as a long term project, I've got TIME to work out details. Soon as I can get it ready mechanically, I'll put it on the road, to see how it is coming along and to see if there are any things I want to change. :rolleyes:

Like I've said before, feel free to offer input, suggestions and advice. Lots of you all have BEEN THERE and know what I'm going to run into.

·
Registered
133 Posts
i would recommend getting a chilton book. that will have everything in it for the suspension. it will have pics and stuff for everything about the truck. they are only about $25 at a napa or oreilly store. or just order it online. i have one for my car and its very detailed. and i do have a really good book from a dealership for the dakota. but you cant have it. lol

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i would recommend getting a chilton book. that will have everything in it for the suspension. it will have pics and stuff for everything about the truck. they are only about $25 at a napa or oreilly store. or just order it online. i have one for my car and its very detailed. and i do have a really good book from a dealership for the dakota. but you cant have it. lol
Yeah, I DO need to get me a Chilton's manual. I've got an O'Reilly's just a little bit down the road. Didn't think of that. I am just so used to finding motorcycle stuff online somewhere and thought that maybe there was something like that for the trucks as well. So, I don't need to bother asking to use YOUR manual, huh? :D I'll tell ya, the more I look at this truck, the more I seem to find. :rolleyes: Still feel I have a good base to work from though. I'm making myself a "Laundry List" and it is quite involved.

Tomorrow, I think I'm going to check the local wrecking yards and see what kind of deal I might can swing, for some common items. Any idea what year range, I should go for, as far as the fitting of parts? I know the range of the 1st generation, but I don't figure ALL parts from ALL of those years, will easily swap out, so that's why I'm asking.

Sure looking forward to this one starting to come together. ;)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Yeah, I DO need to get me a Chilton's manual. I've got an O'Reilly's just a little bit down the road. Didn't think of that. I am just so used to finding motorcycle stuff online somewhere and thought that maybe there was something like that for the trucks as well. So, I don't need to bother asking to use YOUR manual, huh? :D I'll tell ya, the more I look at this truck, the more I seem to find. :rolleyes: Still feel I have a good base to work from though. I'm making myself a "Laundry List" and it is quite involved.

Tomorrow, I think I'm going to check the local wrecking yards and see what kind of deal I might can swing, for some common items. Any idea what year range, I should go for, as far as the fitting of parts? I know the range of the 1st generation, but I don't figure ALL parts from ALL of those years, will easily swap out, so that's why I'm asking.

Sure looking forward to this one starting to come together. ;)
I would say 91-06 would be mostly the same. Most of the parts should interchange. hell, i took the starter off my v6 and used it on my 1970s engine. who would of thought that would work. You will be amazed at what will interchange on these trucks. Hey if you need me to look for any info in my book just let me know. if you ever need to call me and ask questions im good with that. :cool:

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I would say 91-06 would be mostly the same. Most of the parts should interchange. hell, i took the starter off my v6 and used it on my 1970s engine. who would of thought that would work. You will be amazed at what will interchange on these trucks. Hey if you need me to look for any info in my book just let me know. if you ever need to call me and ask questions im good with that. :cool:
Well, I can well imagine that a number of parts will swap out through several years, but what about the body parts and interior parts? I do appreciate the input, cause like I said, I'm not to up on these (at least, not yet), but I'm learning. ;)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts