Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mother always told me that if I couldn't say anything nice about someone then don't say anything at all. Suffice it to say that cleanliness was not a priority for the previous owner of my truck.

My second project today was to remove the carpet from my truck. I've been smelling something that could be engine coolant which was leading me to believe I was looking a replacing my heater core. So before I replace the carpet (which I knew had to be replaced when I bought it) I thought it would be wise to drive it without carpet for a bit to try and verify what the smell is/was.

Now I'm not so sure that I have a heater core issue. It appears that the previous owner was a smokeless tobacco user and at some point experienced "juice cup" spills on both sides of the truck's interior carpet. The juice penetrated the carpet and padding on both sides and was still wet when I pulled it out earlier. I hosed it down with Lysol and vaccuumed it out after removing the carpet.

Here are some pics of this project.

·
Registered
842 Posts
EWWWWW! 30 lashes for THAT P.O. and his Lack of cleanliness!:p

Sure makes you wonder about some folks,huh? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
250 Posts
That's pretty damn bad. I have seen people take out the carpet, steam clean it and have it dyed and it turned out almost as good as new. Just something to think about before you sink money into new carpet.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
i was always told that if you dont have something nice to say about someone...come sit next to me LMAO!!!!

man i wish i had your kind of time to strip out the seats and all the carpet. that does look pretty bad, hope you get that R/T cleaned up looking purty!!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Yikes that was nasty, honestly, you'd hate to see that person's house....

- Cajun

·
Registered
10 Posts
That is pretty disgusting. It's bad enough to have a smoker smell in a vehicle, but having dip spit spilled all over, and then just leave it there. That is just gross.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Wow. That's rediculous. Good luck with that project, some people just don't care about thier vehicles. That's thier perogative, I guess...

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow. That's rediculous. Good luck with that project, some people just don't care about thier vehicles. That's thier perogative, I guess...
I forgot to update this thread. It looks much better now.:D

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nice work. How long did that project take? That looks real good.
Thanks!
It didn't take too long. I matched the OEM carpet with samples from a place called Stock Interiors in mid February and installed the new carpet after I had my heater core replaced in late March; I had to wait until my guy could do the heater core. I ordered the seats while the heater core was being replaced. They took about a week to arrive from Corbeau and they were installed once they arrived. The seats were installed around April 8.

·
Registered
41 Posts
That's smart to replace the heater core when you put in the new carpet. Was there any trimming you had to do? That carpet is the same as mine. What color code is it? I will be doing mine too once I get the $$$ together. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
That's smart to replace the heater core when you put in the new carpet. Was there any trimming you had to do? That carpet is the same as mine. What color code is it? I will be doing mine too once I get the $$$ together. Thanks.
The color code from the site I used is 8945. They'll send you free samples (up to 5 per request) to make sure it matches.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I feel for ya Ev.

I used to detail cars when I was younger, so I have seen just about every form of nastiness that can be stuck to a vehicle. Juju bees, gum, puke, blood, tobacco spit, cigarette smoke residue, You name it. Minivans were ALWAYS the worst. Soccer moms with their kids = loss of bluebook value. Some were so gross that I would spray the whole interior down with cleaner(dash, seats, headliner, and all) and pressure wash them! Sometimes it's the only way. It's a shame people don't pay better attention to vehicle hygine. Especialy with a cool ride like yours. But I,m sure the truck will live a happy, clean life from now on, since you rescued it from that abusive animal. Best to ya. AL

1 - 18 of 18 Posts